First time I see DIY active speakers with DSP on a budget. 130 - 150 euros??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been toying with the idea to make active speakers with DSP for a while, but it always seemed too expensive - either using MiniDSP's with chinese class D amps, or using existing plate amps with DSP, it always turned out to cost at least 300 euros per speaker just for amplification and DSP, before even starting to look at drivers and cabinet building.

Today I stumbled on this:
Aktivlautsprecher | Lautsprecher- Bausatze | Hobbyhifiladen

These use Wondom TPA230 / 250 boards - basically class D amplifier boards based on the TPA3116
(that my current DIY amp is based on as well!)
AND include DSP - and these Wondoms just cost around 45 euros!

It seems I have found my platform to start tinkering with DSP on a budget..!

Sure it means having to learn Sigmastudio, but as I'm clueless about analog crossover design as well, learning this seems a nice doable hobby project to me as I'm better with code than I am with analog electronics :)

Has any of you already played around with these Sure / Wondom DSP thingies?

Last edited:
The Behringer DCX2496 all-singing all-dancing stand-alone DSP is about us$150, give or take some. Can be compared to buying passive crossover components for that money.

That's a DSP for $150.
The Wondom unit used in the active speakers I posted (Which cost $150 in total) costs about 45 euros and does 2ch DSP (Crossover and PEQ) and amplification though!
I mean, 45 euros for a unit that will power a 2 way speaker with crossover and PEQ for room correction - for people on a budget like me, that's the sound of the future! :)

Last edited:
These use Wondom TPA230 / 250 boards - basically class D amplifier boards based on the TPA3116

Has any of you already played around with these Sure / Wondom DSP thingies?

I don't get the naming scheme they are using. The amp is called JAB3-230. I've used it a lot for a 3D printed full range speaker and I must say, that it's a joy to program and use. I've had no problems with it and Sigma studio which you code it with has so many options, it's almost ridiculous! For around 30 $ it's a steal and makes building speakers a lot easier.

You'll need the USB coder board as well though, just so you are aware.

Really interesting. Looked at the shop and they have the amp/dsp boards separate too. The coder board was about 25€. This is something i have been looking for. Thought about the Beocreates, but this is even cheaper and works on the same software. TPA might not be as good as icepower, but likely close.

Found a simple app in appstore from Wondom. It´s called Miumax and has the basic functions of the boards. The JAB3 (dsp model) has Volume, Gain, Channel Filter (crossover), Channel delay, Phase degree and EQ (+-6 dB 10-band"31Hz ,62,125,250,500, 1k ,2k, 4k, 8k and 16k) to get you running easy if Sigmastudio is not familiar.

Oh, and Sure electronics have them too.

Really interesting. Looked at the shop and they have the amp/dsp boards separate too. The coder board was about 25€. This is something i have been looking for. Thought about the Beocreates, but this is even cheaper and works on the same software. TPA might not be as good as icepower, but likely close.

Eh, I'm 44, I seriously doubt my ears will hear a difference :)
I'm using a DIY TPA3116D2 right now that replaced a $1300 Onkyo amp.

I have a Beocreate and it's pretty amazing the sound quality that these TPA based boards can achieve.

Is there a gentle introduction to using Sigmastudio available anywhere? The Beocreate can be programmed simply using a Pi but using Sigmastudio looked a lot more complicated.

You could also have a look at this module I designed. Its an interesting alternative for the Sure boards and is available for pre-order now:
ZOUDIO AIO4CH: 4-channel amplifier with DSP and Bluetooth

Its much easier to work with than the Sure module and has 4 channels and Bluetooth included.

Wow! Thanks for posting and for making cool stuff like this for people like me!

I personall don't need Bluetooth and could do without the added complexity in the signal chain, but I can see how your design would suit other people.
Cool stuff man, keep up the good work.

Dayton DSP Amps

Dayton has 2 new amps that have built in DSP via ADAU1701. Both boards use the TPA3116 amp chip - 2 x 50 watts (DSPB-250) or 1 x 100 watts (DSPB-100). To program the DSP, you need a USB interface, which they sell too (DSPB-ICP1).

They also sell just the DSP board, 2 in 4 out (DSPB-K), that connects to the same USB interface. I have this and have been playing around with the DSP for active crossovers in a 2.1 setup. The software interface via AD (Sigma Studio) is fairly easy to use, if you understand basic crossover principles.

So far I have been happy with the capabilities of the DSP, less some noise I hear, but I wonder if this is due to the USB power supplied via my computer (I plan to hook up a 5 volt DC battery to see if the noise lessens). I plan to pick up one of DSP amp boards next.

Dayton has 2 new amps that have built in DSP via ADAU1701. Both boards use the TPA3116 amp chip - 2 x 50 watts (DSPB-250) or 1 x 100 watts (DSPB-100). To program the DSP, you need a USB interface, which they sell too (DSPB-ICP1). ...

That's all Wondom boards, just relabeled.

Today I stumbled on this:
Aktivlautsprecher | Lautsprecher- Bausatze | Hobbyhifiladen

These use Wondom TPA230 / 250 boards - basically class D amplifier boards based on the TPA3116 (that my current DIY amp is based on as well!)
AND include DSP - and these Wondoms just cost around 45 euros!

It seems I have found my platform to start tinkering with DSP on a budget..!

I got my Signus Kit 3 weeks ago.. it sounds just amazing. The kit comes with the air motion transformer, Peerless bass, the programmed Wondom board, BR tube, screws, damping material and the plan. It is certainly one of the best deals I did in the last time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.