BBC LS3/5a Original v DIY clones

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maybe we are just chasing the dream of what was. The Continuum's by Jeff Bagby were inspired by LS3/5A but probably better. You can't expect much from tiny little boxes with a 5in woofer, but these do sound great.

https://meniscus.lightningbasehosted.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Continuum-Writeup.pdf

Too bad the RS28A aluminum cone tweeters are no longer available.

You can listen to a set on this video:
YouTube

My version of Continuum still running well sounds good too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200106_135213.jpg
    IMG_20200106_135213.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 699
At one point I had Neat Momentum , Totem model 1 , Proac Response 1s and Sonus Faber Concertino in small bedroom against Rogers LS 3/5 a 15 Ohm.There wasn't much to compare since old Rogers were much better than the rest of audiofile brigade. Than I got comparable vintage Linn Kann and it was nothing to write about . People get those old boxes on sound basis not nostalgia.They work in closet size rooms.

At one point I had Neat Momentum , Totem model 1, Proac Response 1s and Sonus Faber Concertino in small bedroom against Rogers LS 3/5 a 15 Ohm.There wasn't much to compare since old Rogers were much better than the rest of audiofile brigade. Than I got comparable vintage Linn Kann and it was nothing to write about . People get those old boxes on sound basis not nostalgia.They work in closet size rooms.

815Falconfig1.jpg

Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

815Falconfig8.jpg

Only the high impedance is the interesting. The other measurements...

It was build for a specific purpose wich was not hifi, but as monitor for BBC productions in the field. It's targeted at the midrange wich is the most important part for for vocals (radio), and bass is little with this speaker (but you could use a subwoofer with it).

But many principes that were devolopped there, are used now in very high rated speakers like the Harbeth's.

And i did copy the mass damped lossy cabinet system for the tops i use now (see picture). The driver is a Mark Audio Alpair 10M fullrange in an 11.5L sealed cabinet build following that principle, and it's the best speaker i did hear with this driver (and i did build many already) but it also needs a sub...

And that is what we should do with the heritage of this speaker, use the good things and build more modern interpretations of it, that more fit our goal.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 233
To add a little to this; the Falcon drivers are made in the UK but quite reasonably they're keeping the source to themselves, last time I looked. Volt make the new LS5/9 drivers for Graham Audio so perhaps there's a connection there or maybe Falcon make them themselves.

The commercial versions pay a licensing fee to the BBC and have to match the specifications rigorously, so each unit may be hand-adjusted, which costs. The license itself won't be cheaper, either, and will add to the cost of each pair. You can get a feel for this by comparing Harbeth (non-licensed) equivalent monitors with any BBC licensed version in current manufacture.

FWIW, after many years of being sceptical about them, I finally got the chance to have a pair of early Rogers (brought back up to spec) and thought they were rather fine.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think this design is much more interesting, also closed and two ways but very different, bigger and hybrid: GR Research Studio Monitor by Danny Richie

Measures: Tyson's Studio Monitor Review

SM%20crossover%20response.jpg

SM%20csd.jpg

Those are nice measurements for sure. I have a lot of respect for Danny Ritchie’s designs. You might be interested in this bookshelf monitor that I just whipped up a simple crossover for the other day. Uses a Dayton RS28F silk dome tweeter in a Visaton waveguide, paired with a Dayton RS180P paper cone woofer and passive radiators.

806891d1578234316-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-a-9ef9020c-c0b3-4eb7-9d5b-e39c6636cec3-jpg

Simple crossover in XSim:
806892d1578234316-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-a-5077bda2-53a4-457e-aa4b-62509b2150aa-png

Here is the measured response of the simple XO:
806896d1578234316-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-a-57ca4515-09cf-4781-90d6-02a7dd28fe71-png

The waveguide allowed very good time alignment:
806897d1578234316-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-a-a8b3f670-6e2f-49b8-b881-4eac56f2a1df-png

But most importantly, a very wide uniform dispersion (roughly 0deg to 60deg):
806959d1578245797-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-a-rs28f-rs180p-xo-measurements-polars-jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I have been interested in them because it seems possible to use OB in a normal room. Once you listen to an orchestral mass with OB in a very large room, change your perspective. With two DIY 18" closed subwoofer -> MAGIC.

DIY OB, from 2011. Metal body. Digital crossover with Behringer (without mod). The Ultracurve I think was the main responsible for it being unable to differentiate between MP3 and FLAC. And the DAC and... too many bottlenecks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For traditional loudspeakers, I just want small KEF 5.25" coaxial or tweeter with a very good waveguide.

Last edited:
BTW, some of the tricks are written in the 2.

Tyson's Studio Monitor Review

1. MDF is fine. It is dense and less resonant than other materials. It is also cheap and easy to purchase and cut.

2. The front baffle is 1.375" thick already. So there is no resonance issue. Also the woofer frame is made from a polymer material that is non-resonance and will not transmit a resonant to the front baffle like most woofers. And it surface mounts so baffle material is not removed for mounting like many drivers that have to be recessed.

3. The kit does not come with material for making a grill. Grill cloth type and color is up to you.

Over a year ago I added mass and cushioning to the KEF Q100 and the improvement was very noticeable.

Does anybody know how much it costed BBC to develop LS3/5a 's? It must have been a fortune I imagine ?
At that time when I had Rogers critters and the rest of the monitors my friend visited .
He is of the modern audiophile ilk with big expensive Mcintosh system and B&W 802 speakers . He didn't have any problem with selecting LS3/5a as the best with the music of choice . Now , give your favorite designer unlimited budget of a say a few million $ , undisturbed access to a recording facility with life orchestra playing behind the door and direct mic feed and a panel of classically trained audience to discuss and evaluate the progress of the product and the things may start to cook ..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful dispersion graph, much better than the hybrid.

How much Hz at -3 dB, F3?

I think my recent measurements may have an air leak somewhere in the cabinet or temporary wire holes, as my earlier measurements shows -3dB around 60Hz (close to where the design was supposed to be).

Here was a previous measurement from years ago using DSP and active crossover.
576779d1477555532-rs28f-rs180p-b80-hole-filler-3-way-rs28f-rs180p-lr2-1500hz-xo.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
big expensive Mcintosh system and B&W 802 speakers . He didn't have any problem with selecting LS3/5a as the best with the music of choice

I have been in audio boutiques and listened a similar top of the line Macintosh and 802D system and came away unimpressed. It can get loud and clean. But the articulation and timing was all off and the system did not sound neutral. I also felt that there was a harshness and fatigue that bothered me. I thought it was an anomaly.

But a friend of mine who has an nice Macintosh amp system and same 802D’s listened to my DIY FAST speakers and was immediately smitten. He said to me it sounds better than his system from clarity, imaging, and lifelike presentation, and he asked me if I could build him the same speakers, plus the amp to go with it.

So my guess is that LS3/5A has better neutrality and lifelike presentation. But a totally different speaker than 802’s.