Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

12" & Horn 2-way build
12" & Horn 2-way build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2020, 10:42 PM   #31
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
you could make your own:
Klipsch K402 replica build - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET
tbh you could get most of the performance from just a dual flare conical.
Very cool!
Old 10th January 2020, 01:56 PM   #32
David Morison is offline David Morison  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
I remember reading about someone making a 3kHz EQ adjustment to alter the sound of the kick........ might make more sense then I thought at the time of reading it.
Particularly in modern rock/pop music, the kick is often mixed with a lot of boost around 3-5kHz to give it a clear attack, so yes, that is a frequency often considered when EQin a mix. In the more extreme cases, it becomes a very distinct slap as in some of the faster metal genres.

To that end, many mics intended for use on bass drums are designed with a contoured frequency response to get part way towards that kind of tone even before touching the console's EQ knobs. This example is form the Shure Beta52:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th January 2020, 06:00 PM   #33
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

12" & Horn 2-way build
Thx David, now I got the whole story. Makes more sense to me now.

Found this; kick drum has even higher frequencies then a violin....

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Think; 10th January 2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10th January 2020, 06:54 PM   #34
David Morison is offline David Morison  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I'd disagree with that frequency chart a little bit - (if close mic'd in particular) a violin will have some frequency content at least an octave higher than that from the bow drawing across the strings.
You wouldn't notice perhaps if you're used to hearing them from a distance, but if you've ever played the instrument you'd know it was missing.
Indeed, most acoustic instruments will have partial content like that up to at least 10kHz, often higher. It doesn't form part of the note per se but does represent a lot of the detail and "texture" of the sound, to use an untechnical term.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:56 PM   #35
benno25 is offline benno25  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I've been looking at some of the Faital drivers and are thinking along the lines of the following.

Woofer
Faital 12FH520
Ported box approximately 60 litres and tuned to 50Hz
2x 4" round ports. From memory I think the first port resonance frequency was calculated to be around 680Hz.

Tweeter
Faital compression driver.
1.4" with Polymer cone.
Options are HF142, HF144 or HF146.
The HF1440 looks to maybe be a better choice, however they don't seem to be available. Does anyone know where they can be purchased from?

Driver Spacing
I can get the center to center measurements between woofer and tweeter to a minimum of just under 280mm and are aiming to get them as close as possible.

Crossover
Initially I'll be aiming for a crossover frequency under 1kHz if possibly.
Crossover will be active; likely via miniDSP as I already have one.
Crossover frequencies, slopes, etc are therefore flexible and will be determined later.

Anyway, that's the plan so far. Please critique.
Old 14th January 2020, 07:30 AM   #36
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

The HF1440 doesn't seem to be available at all YET. You are definitley not the first one waiting for this to be avilable !

…. and people like us are definiltely not those who will get the first production ones …..

Regards

Charles

P.S: I currently use the HF146 on a 18sound XT1464 waveguide and I like it a lot. With your 12" you could use a smaller horn/waveguide than I with double 15".

PPS: This one got a lot of positive reviews lately (not everyone will like the Altec inspired retro design though): Model 12 - dynamikks
Old 14th January 2020, 11:26 PM   #37
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benno25 View Post
Ok, so I've been looking at some of the Faital drivers and are thinking along the lines of the following.

Woofer
Faital 12FH520
Ported box approximately 60 litres and tuned to 50Hz
2x 4" round ports. From memory I think the first port resonance frequency was calculated to be around 680Hz.

Tweeter
Faital compression driver.
1.4" with Polymer cone.
Options are HF142, HF144 or HF146.
The HF1440 looks to maybe be a better choice, however they don't seem to be available. Does anyone know where they can be purchased from?

Driver Spacing
I can get the center to center measurements between woofer and tweeter to a minimum of just under 280mm and are aiming to get them as close as possible.

Crossover
Initially I'll be aiming for a crossover frequency under 1kHz if possibly.
Crossover will be active; likely via miniDSP as I already have one.
Crossover frequencies, slopes, etc are therefore flexible and will be determined later.

Anyway, that's the plan so far. Please critique.

I have a pair of Fostex FW 305s woofers used for about two hours in the original packing boxes.I am in Australia.

12" & Horn 2-way buildHide this!Advertise here!