Cone excursion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
However i simulate the Seas W18E001 driver in VituixCAD i get the cone excursion over linear Xmax (+-5mm). I raise the source voltage to 28V to get about 130Watts in power responce curve. And then check the cone excursion curve. Is there some other (better) way of checking cone excursion at the wattage amp will put out to the driver?

If i have checked this correctly then i can maximum put 10 watt to the driver before the linear Xmax limit is met.

Both for sealed and passported design., the excursion is over xmas.

If you want higher power handling excursion wise, just use a smaller enclosure. This will give up some low-end extension, but nothing comes for free.

We don't know exactly how much power goes to a driver, because the impedance response is not a flat line, it's varied in the magnitude and have reactivity either.

And drivers can be audibly non-linear within their xmax too. Xmech or xlimit is more important imo in the sense of driver protection.

Last edited:
This only counts for pure sine at the specific frequency in question.
Are you going to feed the driver pure sine at that power, and at that frequency?
At any rate, I think a proper 130 watt amp would be a fine match, because even if you're not using all the power you get more cone control, just watch the driver a bit when playing loud.
I would not hesitate to feed the driver 30w regular music signal, and 6 db headroom for proper cone control ends up at = 120w amplifier.

I'll second that you're better off modelling for sound level / extension, and then easing off the volume control if you notice excursion becoming too much.

Only worth resorting to smaller boxes if you're expecting to have a monkey controlling the volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.