Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3-Way Open Baffle Straight Line Array (Floor to Ceiling)
3-Way Open Baffle Straight Line Array (Floor to Ceiling)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2020, 05:14 AM   #51
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great that you like them

You should notice the difference between 6 x 15" woofers per side and 36 SB65's

Any pics of the final in room setup?
Old 14th April 2020, 05:39 AM   #52
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Pics and measurements will be coming when I get the space cleaned a bit also they are a bit too close to the side wall but this is the only place they can go.

Yes, big difference between the 36 SB driver, 2x15" OB, single 18" OB, 4x12" sealed ect. and 6x15" OB per side. The 6x15" OB per side simply sound different. Either room loading or surface area or both but they sound like unlimited OB subs+bass. It really is something. Clean is the word that keeps coming to mind, although since its OB I'm sure they are distorting, but it must be the good distortion!
Old 14th April 2020, 05:52 AM   #53
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome build! Looking forward to further developments. Has a lot of potential to be a very high resolution system. Great choice on components.

How far off the back wall are these going to be? Some damping or diffusion behind the mids might get your imaging cleaner without detracting from the "boxless" sound. At least that's what I noticed when playing with open baffle.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:03 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Awesome build! Looking forward to further developments. Has a lot of potential to be a very high resolution system. Great choice on components.

How far off the back wall are these going to be? Some damping or diffusion behind the mids might get your imaging cleaner without detracting from the "boxless" sound. At least that's what I noticed when playing with open baffle.
Thanks for the tip! Currently they are 3 feet from the front wall but only 15" off the side wall (LA OB woofers closest to the wall, mids and tweeter on the inside). There is some bad stuff (TV and screen) between the speakers. It is a multifunction room so no choice here.

Had some dampling panels on the front wall behind the speakers but had to move them out as they were better suited in another location. I should order a few more or temporarily move them back for some testing. I do have damping on the side walls though.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:47 AM   #55
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

If the woofer panels can be rotated the side nulls can be manipulated to try and mitigate the less than ideal placement. Worth some experimentation if you haven't already.
Old 14th April 2020, 07:18 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

A pic of the room. Still a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200414_102630.jpg (189.3 KB, 142 views)
Old 14th April 2020, 09:19 PM   #57
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

looks good. that amount of sd possible motor noises are far from loud
Old 14th April 2020, 09:39 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninen View Post
looks good. that amount of sd possible motor noises are far from loud
Thanks! I don't listen to music as loud as the next guy but when cranked there is no motor noise as far as I can tell. Cone movement is minimal when loud even with no High Pass filter installed on woofer section. My mic is not calibrated to absolute level but will get some distortion sweeps done at high SPL someday.
  Reply to this post

3-Way Open Baffle Straight Line Array (Floor to Ceiling)Hide this!Advertise here!