Nexus - World's Easiest Controlled Directivity Loudspeaker

I would steer clear of anything it uses the miniDSP original silicon. The Analog ADAU1701 is a .9V max I/O device, with a 2V input mode via a in-chip selectable resistor. No experience with the Sigma DSP from AD, but after reading documentation and forums comments, it has a very steep learning and implementation curve. The Sigma DSP environment seems geared at productions runs, where the interface is not conductive to simple and fast adjustments, like the miniDSP or similar plugins (or at least this was the case the last time I looked at the Wondom boards). Also, the original miniDSP requires an USB connection for adjustments, while others can be used via Bluetooth.

I,ve always found amazing that the options for a DSP system with a decent UI (user interface) are so lacking. In the affordable area, the tRacks ( 50Hz, 220V only), the Parts Express DSP-408 (accepts up to 4V input and output but still ADAU1701 ). For what I've seems in ASR, the most ADAU1701 don't measure too well.

Reactions: 1 user
New Genelec looks familiar.

"https://www.genelec.com/-/news/gene...nitor-delivers-unrivalled-power-and-precision

Genelec introduces its new flagship floor-standing main monitor.
As part of its 45th anniversary year, Genelec has unveiled the 8381A Smart Active Monitoring system, a flagship floor-standing Adaptive Point Source™ design that fuses exceptional precision and envelopment with unrivalled LF control, huge headroom and high-resolution imaging. Designed for high end music recording, mastering and audiophile listening, the 8381A creates a free-standing full range monitoring solution that can intelligently adapt to any acoustic environment. For audio professionals, the 8381A produces accurate full-band mixes that translate consistently to other rooms and playback systems, while audiophiles will experience every detail and nuance of a musical performance, just as the creators intended it to be heard.

As a member of ‘The Main Ones’ range, the 8381A system is acoustically coaxial right down to bass frequencies, and draws on proven technology developed for Genelec’s patented and award-winning ‘The Ones’ family of point source monitors and the W371A Adaptive Woofer System, which themselves can combine to create a free-standing full-range monitoring system. However, the 8381A raises the performance bar even higher by offering controlled directivity and uncoloured response both on and off axis, with an ultra-wide frequency response spanning from 20 Hz to 35 kHz. Additionally, with almost 6 kW of amplifier power and a staggering maximum SPL of 126 dB – the highest figure ever achieved by a precision point source acoustic design – the 8381A offers the most sophisticated features and specification of any audio monitor currently available.

At the heart of the 8381A is a proprietary high SPL Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC™) midrange/tweeter driver which – combined with a powerful Genelec DSP engine – delivers extraordinary clarity, imaging and adaptability. This MDC driver shares a common acoustical axis with the 8381A’s four complementary 5-inch dome drivers which are arranged as a midrange transduction system, and this unique array combines with a forward-facing 15-inch woofer to provide outstandingly stable directivity, control and coherence.

To further enhance and extend the 8381A’s low frequency reproduction, a pair of high performance 15-inch woofers employ the LF adaptive technology originally developed in the W371A, offering high resolution and supreme levels of low frequency control – despite the effects of room acoustics. This technology allows the 8381A to tailor performance carefully to the room, offering flatter, smoother in-room response at the listening location, with LF imaging coherent with the full audio range. This flat and neutral LF response minimises acoustic notching, and reduces detrimental reflections and resonances by the walls, ceiling or floor of the room."

Attachments

• 346637876_6095532017225143_5439248171317833378_n.jpg
    346637876_6095532017225143_5439248171317833378_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 345033819_769718588215894_6261470486460806991_n.jpg
    345033819_769718588215894_6261470486460806991_n.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: 5 users
My first post and I've been lurking since 2008. First many thanks to my unsuspecting mentors here, John "Zaph" Krutke, the late Sig Linkwitz, John Paul Bateman, and Bill Waslo. The things in those above posts look like an amalgam of Linkwitz Orions, and Danley Synergys / Waslo Cosynes.

Putting those 2 together, one thing I notice completely missing as a class of speakers is synergy horns that transition to dipoles rather than monopoles at the baffle step frequency. If we call a horn a cardiod with a decent directivity index above the step, wouldn't we rather transition to a dipole with some directivity than a monopole with none? As I run Bill's Cosynes in Hornresp using his inputs which use 2pi single hemisphere radiation, they look lovely, but when I switch to 4pi because I want them out in my room/garage sitting on my H-frame dipole subs, you see the baffle step just where you would expect it - at the upper hundreds of Hz where the mouth diameter is about 1 wavelength. Has anyone tried to design a bandpass rear woofer enclosure with the port near the rear of the horn to form a dipole at starting at the baffle step transition frequency? Alternately I guess I could just use the CD and the mids from the Cosyne and have a separate dipole woofer (and dipole sub below that) possibly in a Woofer/Horn/Woofer (WHW) configuration for coaxiality. If separate, I would think the slot loaded OB might be a good aesthetic - just a slot showing on either side of the horn.

Why this is important to me? I was about to start on a TMW Cosyne build, but by switching from the CDX1-1445 CD to a DE250, the CD tweeter can get low enough to cross directly over to the woofers, skipping the mids (Recall Geddes crossed his 250s over at ~900 Hz in the older Summas). So I would have a TW MEH. Conversely, the above paragraph implies I should go TM MEH with dipole W. Decisions-Decisions... Since I like/have OB sub-bass, it also makes less sense to go cardiod-monopole-dipole but much better to transition cardiod-dipole-dipole H-W-S.

Also worth noting is I ran parametrics in hornresp that showed not a huge amount of difference between the Aura NS6's in the Cosyne design and some Peerless 160F25PR01-8s that I have on hand. Even an HDS 830874 that I also have on hand wasn't grossly different. By going to a 2 way design, I can use either my miniDSP or NX1000DSP amp to do the crossover duties, so changing drivers doesn't involve reinventing Bill's passive crossover. Another thing I noticed running parametric in hornresp was that reducing the Woofer offset helps move the HF bandpass edge up as expected but made zero difference in the LF edge. That was a surprise to me. Is it really true? (yes I have a spreadsheet that recalculated the areas and con's associated with moving the offsets that left the overall length, and flare transition areas unchanged)

Patrick Bateman: I must have been thinking of the Pope :) Yes it’s you - sorry to butcher that.
‘Also despite reading for hours I missed a thread that had exactly what I was thinking of: R16 constant directivity dipole started by gainphile.
Looking at the directivity index for the R-OSSE ST260 in Marcel’s paper, for that 10" size it crosses the 4.8 db dipole DI at ~600 Hz (and half that for the 2x bigger version as expected). Given the large difference in radiation patterns for the same DI, is there a better parameter to match when deciding the horn => dipole xo frequency?
PS I know I need to learn how to post links to those things but haven’t tried hard enough yet.

Last edited: