small high sensitivity two way

This is an incredibly good sounding driver. It will out perform any of the drivers mentioned so far and definitely has the most amazing mids out of the lot. Faital Pro 6RS140

There is another that might be a little better in the midrange and is:

Faital Pro 6" 6PR160 I think this mated to a HF10AK will give you an unrivalled 6inch 2 way!

A little info: The Faital Pro driver remained acceptably linear enough for LEAP 5 to curve fit at 20 V, which is a new Test Bench record for this diameter woofer!

Last edited:
Audio elite, have you got the faital drivers? is the 1-2khz distortion peak audible both drivers seem to have? Just checked Vance Dickason tests and noticed the distortion peak, it is about 4%. Some other 6" drivers I found from the test bench articles had distortion in the mids around 1%.

Test Bench: Faital Pro 6RS140 Midwoofer / Midrange | audioXpress

Also wondering how the 6rs140 sounds paired to a horn, seems to have step in the directivity above 2k? pretty good on axis response though.

This is an incredibly good sounding driver. It will out perform any of the drivers mentioned so far and definitely has the most amazing mids out of the lot. Faital Pro 6RS140

-and yet to cross-over properly to the little Fountek ribbon, it's not that great. :eek:

..there is about -6db of pressure loss off-axis at 3 kHz and about -10db at just 4kHz when looking at there 45 degree response.

For a tweeter that should generally be crossed above 3.5 kHz, that's not very good. ;) Even worse with:

"..a simple 1st order on the ribbon crossed over quite high....."

..I can go higher order high pass........I was just trying to stay simple and not deal with phase issues....

Will a reasonably executed MTM image as well as a conventional 2 way? My 8" full rangers image really well...I understand the benefit of MTM (besides doubling mid-woofs..+3db)...is much better vertical off axis response...

Are there any downsides to using a ribbon in an MTM config?

MTM vertical lobing and suck-out: basically meaning you'll have a bit of a "roller-coaster" above about 2kHz vertically. +/- 10 degrees should be OK though, and you can always tilt the loudspeaker up or down to aim at the listening position.

Horizontal is much more important.

You'll always have phase issues (for just about any position except possibly one), rather it's linearity you are targeting to achieve (on and off-axis horizontally). Beyond that it's timing (consider physical "inset" of the ribbon as shown at the bottom of Fountek's page). (All are interrelated.)

Here is another one from Troels, but note that the midbass he is using (5.5") is rather linear off-axis at higher freq.s:

Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 +

IF you go with a higher-order design AND you cross-over lower than you should (near *2 kHz with a steep high-pass), THEN the Faital Pro (16 ohms in parallel) could work very well.
*maybe 2.2-2.3 kHz?

Last edited:
Mondogenerator: How low are you crossing over the Neo 3.5? What order filter?

I have changed the XO since using the Fountek woofers, but from memory.....2.2uF to 3uF only, so first order...the ribbons Z is about 7 Ohms over the entire range, so Fc would be about 5 or 6kHz.

I used about 0.33mH on the Monacor mid to roll off a little bit of the higher ranges.

With a 4" driver the problems of polar response narrowing are less than with a larger driver, at 5 or 6KHz.

With the 3.5H the response is constrained to a degree in both dimensions obviously the V is attenuated more, as would be expected

It is certainly a temporary experimental set up, and I would agree with ScottG that crossing low order and this high is compromised.

Both the CD3 and 3.5H recommend a crossover of something like 2.5kHz minimum 3rd order.

The 3.5H in particular (it may be common to the 3 also), suffers from resonances at 2k or below, making a designed crossover of 3rd or 4th order at 3.5k to 4kHz probably a wise choice

Last edited:
Efficiency wise, nothing is gonna match up to the ribbon once baffle step compensation is implemented in a two way design. Since you want to cross very high, an MTM is kind out of the running also.......there’s too many lobing sacrifices made there. 2.5 TMM would be the direction I would take.

Solid bass response to an F3 of 80hz is needed without sacrifices to a subwoofer so my pick would be the Dayton RS100-8 in a parallel pair and a .5 inductor to augment power handling, efficiency and baffle step loss. The detailed upper midrange of this driver along with the Fountek ribbon is a speaker I could live with for a long time.

I like your design criteria as my many years of listening has revealed one thing.....a small monitor speaker placed in space and properly mated to a subwoofer is an amazing thing where imaging is concerned and makes the very best out of even the worst listening spaces.......provided the subwoofer implementation is correct.

Last edited:
Well...I've been slightly distracted with building a portable bluetooth boombox with parts express boards.....using a pair of dayton 3.5" "point source" full rangers and a Tang Band 5 1/4" sub.

The parts are not here yet but I'm going to knock some quick sealed boxes out for the daytons and listen to them on the big system with the sub.....they are 85db so it should be entertaining.......may have to break out my SS amp....firstwatt F5....25 wpc class A.

Efficiency wise, nothing is gonna match up to the ribbon once baffle step compensation is implemented in a two way design. Since you want to cross very high, an MTM is kind out of the running also.......there’s too many lobing sacrifices made there. 2.5 TMM would be the direction I would take.

I like your design criteria as my many years of listening has revealed one thing.....a small monitor speaker placed in space and properly mated to a subwoofer is an amazing thing where imaging is concerned and makes the very best out of even the worst listening spaces.......provided the subwoofer implementation is correct.

So now I'm accepting the fact that I need 6.5" drivers to get high sensitivity.

Presently thinking about the FaitalPro 6FE200 4 ohm (two in each enclosure-TMM) or the the FaitalPro 6PR160 same setup. The extra sensitivity of two drivers allows me to burn up a few db's for baffle step and still have high sensitivity.

The 6PR160 appears to have slightly smoother freq response than the 6FE200...likely not too relevant in a basic box. It's also 3x the $$ due to Neo magnet...and finally, it's mounting is not round so flush routing PITA...so leaning toward 4 pieces of 6FE200.

*Edit: I just noticed the 6PR has a lower Fs (90 vs 120 hz) and a much lower Qts....so 6PR typically vented box and 6FE sealed....

Unless the 6PR is avail in a 4R version then I'll end up with a 4 ohm system by paralleling two 8R drivers. Not a big issue as most of my tube gear have both 4R ad 8R speaker taps..except the 2W SET.

Thinking about a 4000-4500hz XO for the ribbon....does this seem reasonable?

Haven't looked at box sizing yet...but now thinking skinny floor stander TMMs.

Last edited:
So now I'm accepting the fact that I need 6.5" drivers to get high sensitivity.

Presently thinking about the FaitalPro 6FE200 4 ohm (two in each enclosure-TMM) or the the FaitalPro 6PR160 same setup.

Thinking about a 4000-4500hz XO for the ribbon....does this seem reasonable?

Haven't looked at box sizing yet...but now thinking skinny floor stander TMMs.

NO. :eek: