Faital HF146 vs HF10AK - Top End Performance

maybe LTH102 horn:

Thank you for advice.
HF10AK in LTH102 looks prefect, I'm just not sure if it's a good match with 15" by 10" WG with the coverage angles 50°x90°.

I've tested that waveguide with a seos 12 on top crossed at 2khz. Very nice detailed sound with rock solid imaging. The JBL would be better with some damping on the back to control coloration. Great combo.

Attachments

• 20200319_170712.jpg
    20200319_170712.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 1,014
Reactions: 1 user
Left is JBL #5006815 for STX825 (90° × 50° nominal) and the other is JBL #5006219 for STX815 (70° × 70° nominal).

The smaller PT horns are basically similar to the 2384 and should work, but you have to add some delay to time-align both horns.
I would pick the first horn, because its coverage angles (90° × 50°) resemble those of the 2384.

Will the HF10AK fit in to the JBL WG #5006815?

Yes, I did cancel the order.
I want to keep the JBL 2169H as mid and no matter which driver I tried (dozen of 1" PRV, Celestion, Peerless, DE250 etc) none of them have the synergy with it as 2435HPL.
I order a new smaller WG for it but unfortunately it's gonna be complicated cose I have to add a super tweeter. Tried couple and got myself a Fane 5022.

I can confirm the HF108 is more suited for a shallow WG based on eye balling the exit angle.

I have the following parts available for evaluation to decide which is best for HF in a 15" 3 way monitor project.

Drivers - Faital HF108, 18Sound NSD1095N, B&C DE250 (16 ohms), Celestion CDX1-1745
Horns - 18Sound XT1086, Faital STH100, Eminence WG10, Selenium HM25-25, B&C ME20

Haven't gotten to any measurements yet, but so far with a quick and dirty mock up using the parametric EQ of my RME ADI, the NSD1095N on the XT1086 is the most accurate sounding overall, especially higher up, sort of like a huge HF dome. Lower mids are very rough on this driver and it will require a notch with alot of CD EQ compensation for linear top end. This driver shines with good DSP and careful EQ.

Next, the HF108 on Eminence WG10 is overall the smoothest and highest likely to make sound balanced using a passive network. It also has good detail and plays louder without listening fatigue, thanks to a very clean impedance curve in the lower mids. The WG10 is a suitable horn for this driver having a more shallow profile. It almost looks like a tractrix design combined with the popular QSC type WG.

The DE250 (16 ohm version), which is better than the current 8 ohm model, is easy on the ears and maybe slightly more veiled because of it. The sound is harsh playing loud crossed at 2k, so it would be a great driver used with an 8" midbass on the Faital STH100. Crossed higher it cleans up well. Its wwpossible this driver doesn't have much xmax reserve.

The CDX1-1745 sounds clean and its character is best described as very hifi like, plus it can play very loud with little distortion past 2.5k using a 2nd order slope. It reminds me of a high quality larger soft dome. Martin uses this driver alot in their Blackline cabs.

My ear says the HF108 wins on the STH100 overall. Its an expensive driver for what it does, but it does it very well. Just very smooth and clean with a lower crossover point.

The NSD1095N on the XT1086 has better resolving detail, dynamics and is more engaging to listen to if all that is important to you - it would be for me. For a larger 2 way using a good 12" midbass, the NSD1095N wins as long as the 1 - 2k resonance is notched out. Should be able to do it passively but its not doable by just shifting the HP slope a little. The steep downward dropping HF response on the XT1086 needs aggressive boosting. I would run this driver via a passive crossover only above 2.5k With active DSP it can go lower and much louder.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's something on the 18Sound NSD1095N / XT1086 combo I found from Troels G, confirming some of my findings. The impedance measured together mounted on the WG shows a very clean trace. Troels uses the driver down to 1.3 - 1.4k with a passive network. My findings with resonances between 1 - 2k are likely baffle step related running the WG on a small baffle compared to the large one used in his tests. This driver needs arallel resistance dampening down low to get the best from it based on Troels application of his attenuation network. It does drive me crazy he doesn't show any component values - I don't see much danger of posting just the HP section using the NSD1095N /XT1086, but it does at least show the WG is more sensitive than usual to various baffle configurations compared to other deeper WGs I've used.

Attachments

• 20221016_075804.jpg
    20221016_075804.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 125
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Mezzo Calapamos uses a 90° horn from P.Audio and the HF 108R. Cut off around 1400 hz.

Would like to know if one tried the printed Horn given by Mabatt wity such flatish compressions ? Btw new expensive carbon diag at Faital...very smooth on the datasheet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Anyone have an impulse response measurement on the HF10AK on an STH100 or indeed any generally similar horn that they could share here? (or privately by PM) I need a sanity check. I have an apparent ringing problem that might have everything or nothing at all to do with the driver/horn combo. I run them as tweeters from 8kHz up.

Strange - mine measured flatter. But I measured at a shorter distance to be honest.

Regards

Charles
The ripple pictured in the measurments of lower mids will be very audible, but a larger baffle would fix that, so it would be flatter. The XT1086 is sensitive to baffle dimensions based on all these observations. I had to pull out 6 dB @ 1.3k to fix my NSD1095N on the XT1086. You could see the problem in the impedance plot. There is also a throat cavity resonance @ 8k that gets worse using drivers with deeper throat openings.