Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

2 way speaker DIY kits - Seas Befrost vs Scanspeak Lumine
2 way speaker DIY kits - Seas Befrost vs Scanspeak Lumine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
doji is offline doji  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2 way speaker DIY kits - Seas Befrost vs Scanspeak Lumine

I am looking to build a bigger sized two way bookshelf at the $1.5K budget range.

These two pop up among the rest I've searched:

1. Seas Bifrost
BIFROST

2. Scanspeak Lumine
Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit

both are very good looking speakers, I feels the Lumine has a better high frequency clarity, but the Bifrost has a more rounded midrange(maybe due to its 7'' woofer? ). Want to hear from you guy's opinions, so I can choose one to build. Worst case if it's a tie, I will build both (but my wife will be so pissed off, as there are too many pairs in the house).

I found one Youtube video comparing these two head to head:
YouTube

Last edited by doji; 7th December 2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: fix the youtube link
Old 7th December 2019, 01:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can't edit my thread.. something went wrong with it..
Old 7th December 2019, 12:49 PM   #3
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

You are comparing two very different speakers, as one ha more than double the volume as the other, something that is justified by the different size of the midwoofers. Only one fit in my definition of bigger sized bookshelf speaker.
Besides that, IMHO both kits use expensive drivers coupled with too easy crossovers. I can't really comment on the Lumine kit, as the FR graph published is ridiculous, but for sure I don't like the Bifrost FR and crossover point. For that price range, again IMHO, there are better solutions.
Note that the Bifrost has almost full baffle step compensation, so it should be placed well away from walls.

Ralf
Old 7th December 2019, 07:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I like the Bifrost for the overall, but really wondering if I can alter the tweeter in it so that I can get the high frequency sounds of the Lumine.. My intention is to have a bigger bookshelf speaker for vocal, jazz and violin/piano even a little bit cello musics, so the Bifrost size is really a good fit.

Don't know much about the FR of the crossover designs....
Old 7th December 2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at the Nada kit at madisound. Sounds like a good compromise between the two 7 sealed with Be tweeter.

NADA 2-Way Klang + Ton Kit Pair using Illuminator Drivers
Old 7th December 2019, 08:43 PM   #6
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doji View Post
I am looking to build a BIGGER SIZED two way bookshelf at the $1.5K budget range.
Have you also studied.....

Troels Gravensen's Illuminator Monitor uses the 7" ScanSpeak 18WU/8741T00 driver paired with either 7100 or 6600 tweeters. Troels provides documented crossovers for both an RC delay circuit block, and also LR2 second order circuits. Cabinet construction drawings included.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:45 PM   #7
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

I always liked these

Seas A26 10" 2-way Kit Pair (based on the classic A25)
Old 7th December 2019, 09:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Have you also studied.....

Troels Gravensen's Illuminator Monitor uses the 7" ScanSpeak 18WU/8741T00 driver paired with either 7100 or 6600 tweeters. Troels provides documented crossovers for both an RC delay circuit block, and also LR2 second order circuits. Cabinet construction drawings included.

You meant this speaker? I found it on Youtube and it really triggered me to build exactly the same pair for myself..

YouTube
Old 7th December 2019, 09:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg10 View Post
Have you looked at the Nada kit at madisound. Sounds like a good compromise between the two 7 sealed with Be tweeter.

NADA 2-Way Klang + Ton Kit Pair using Illuminator Drivers
I checked this one, I like it although it's above the upper edge of my budget..
Old 7th December 2019, 09:57 PM   #10
mozartfan is offline mozartfan  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi I am new here, a mod over at audiogon , suggested i take my thoughts over here on DIYaudio, My topic was
SEAS Thor
vs SB Acoustics 2.5 way.
I madea long thread, explaining my ideas on that topic, so short story, I jhave the SEAS Thor for now 18 yrs and have been very happy, but now i am looking fora new MTm/2.5 way, and by sheer chance discovered SB Acoustics.
I suggest you takea look at the SEAS Thor kit and the SB Acoustics 2.5 Satori..My hunch is the SB will slightly out perform the Thor.
I plan to have madisound install all caps as M's Silver/Gold Oil. Not the more costly supremes.
I will also update my thors xover with M Silver Gold + I boughta like new M Gold Silver OIl Supreme 10uF on ebay for $200/pair, So I suggest you broaden your quest to include these 2 super high fidelity speakers in your search.
I saw the Bifrost, its not in the same class as the Excel/Thor series.

SB ACOUSTICS SBA-761 2.5-WAY SATORI KIT

2 way speaker DIY kits - Seas Befrost vs Scanspeak LumineHide this!Advertise here!