EV SH-1502ER - poor man's Altec A7?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Today I bought a pair of the EV speakers mentioned in the title. In perfect shape, like new. Very rare here, imported from Germany. I had only a minute of listening, but I think these are really good. The datasheet shows some impressive polar diagrams and acceptable FR. A googled image is in the attachment. Mine were updated with a speakon connector and wheels (which I will remove). Together with my bass horns, it should make an enjoyable 3 way horn loaded system - until I have my new more compact midbass horns and new tops finished.

I would definitely like to own a pair of A7s, but these are not available at sane prices here. I thing the EVs come close to the concept of the A7, with some compromises and maybe better dispersion.

Attachments

• 9406F8F6-8AB6-4F3C-960D-FA5A322C51C0.png
    9406F8F6-8AB6-4F3C-960D-FA5A322C51C0.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 1,848
Joined 2008
Paid Member
They sound better than they should for the price:) Only lacking the low bass. I did a quick listen with the boxes toed in to cross in front of the listening position as recommended by Dr. Geddes for CD loudspeakers, which these seem to be. So now I know that a large horn of this type will work nicely for me. These will for now replace the monster midbass horns and JBL2445/2380 + CP385Nd combo in the main system and I now need to think about a nicely looking midbass and radial style wooden horns, which would match. Most probably using 1.4" driver or maybe even one of the coaxial drivers if funds permit.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The thing is, they sounded great when on the floor but when I raised them onto the bass horns (ca 55 cm high), suddenly they did not sound that nice anymore. The vertical angle between ears and the HF horn is approximate the same, but now I am listening below and before I listened above. The vertical polar diagram would explain that there is definitely a change in sound, so it was not only in my head:) I think the room inlfuence is also a part of the game in this.

They sound better than they should for the price:) Only lacking the low bass. I did a quick listen with the boxes toed in to cross in front of the listening position as recommended by Dr. Geddes for CD loudspeakers, which these seem to be. So now I know that a large horn of this type will work nicely for me. These will for now replace the monster midbass horns and JBL2445/2380 + CP385Nd combo in the main system and I now need to think about a nicely looking midbass and radial style wooden horns, which would match. Most probably using 1.4" driver or maybe even one of the coaxial drivers if funds permit.

€ 327,63 | IWISTAO HIFI corne de bois vide solide 1 paire de Compensation des aigus pour la gamme complète assortie corne Fostex FT17H large 445mm
AliExpress

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think it is a bit more, something like 18-19 mm (3/4"?), including two layers of the carpet it is a bit over 21 mm when I push the caliper really tight. I think I will reorganize the stack a bit, move all bass horns to middle of the wal in a 2x2 arrangement and the EVs on the floor or slightly raised on low stools.

Attached is the crossover diagram. The 18 uF cap is an elyt, that one will need replacement. And the PTC will be replaced by a fixed resistor or maybe an adjustable L-pad if I can get some locally.

Attachments

• 3D5BFEBC-1CD5-498C-84E1-A77F59CB7740.jpeg
    3D5BFEBC-1CD5-498C-84E1-A77F59CB7740.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 607
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I did some measurements and provide a comparison with a Beyma 12XA30 measured at the same spot of the room. I used psychoacoustic smoothing to show the trends.

The funny thing is, the FR is kind of similar and that was also the impression. But with the EVs, I had a feeling I could hear distortion and the sound was not as crystal clear as with the Beymas. The measurements are at similar SPL. I would be grateful for any comments, but it seems either the Beyma HF driver is exceptionally clean, or there is some problem with the EVs. The Beyma is almost only 2nd harmonic, but the EV shows relatively high 3rd harmonic. So maybe that is what I hear? It is a shame, because the big boxes sound big, but I cannot tolerate the distortion. I hope this could be fixed with new membranes, crossover or whatever...or maybe a new driver would work? Would there be one recommended?

Attachments

• EV-BeymaIR1.jpg
    EV-BeymaIR1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 152
  • EV-BeymaIR2.jpg
    EV-BeymaIR2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 144
  • EV-BeymaDist1.jpg
    EV-BeymaDist1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 111
  • EV-BeymaDist2.jpg
    EV-BeymaDist2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 284
  • EV-BeymaFR1.jpg
    EV-BeymaFR1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 335
  • EV-BeymaFR2.jpg
    EV-BeymaFR2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 300
  • EV-BeymaBoth.jpg
    EV-BeymaBoth.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 278
I did some measurements and provide a comparison with a Beyma 12XA30 measured at the same spot of the room. I used psychoacoustic smoothing to show the trends.

The funny thing is, the FR is kind of similar and that was also the impression. But with the EVs, I had a feeling I could hear distortion and the sound was not as crystal clear as with the Beymas. The measurements are at similar SPL. I would be grateful for any comments, but it seems either the Beyma HF driver is exceptionally clean, or there is some problem with the EVs. The Beyma is almost only 2nd harmonic, but the EV shows relatively high 3rd harmonic. So maybe that is what I hear? It is a shame, because the big boxes sound big, but I cannot tolerate the distortion. I hope this could be fixed with new membranes, crossover or whatever...or maybe a new driver would work? Would there be one recommended?

It’s hard to tell without taking each driver out and testing them individually. Distortion could come from many things... first make sure the drivers themselves don’t have issues. If they don’t then it can be the crossovers (capacitors, tweeter protection circuit, leak in the driver-to-horn seal, etc... regarding Beyma, I have the highest respect for that brand, one shouldn’t dismiss that modern Beyma products might just be lower distortion...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
These will never be pushed hard. It will just be removed.

phase_accurate: I think he meant that the 12XA30 is just plain better than the drivers in the EV box. While that might be true, I simply do not trust that the distortion I hear would be there if the drivers and boxes as whole would be in 100% shape. More investigation will follow.