Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please recommend small tower project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Cider is offline Cider  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Please recommend small tower project

I don't have design skills, but I think it's a blast to build speakers, and I'm looking for a new project. It doesn't have to be a tower, but I do appreciate the extra low end. I was thinking about either Bagby's Testarossa or Selah's Cali4, although I haven't heard either. The former is a little larger than my preference, but it seems to be well-received, and looks fun to build.

Do you have any suggestions?
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:31 AM   #2
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Based upon the cost of the Jeff Bagby Testarossa speaker you are considering....

This is a good time to decide if you want to invest in DSP + multi-channel amplifiers to both simplify design and improve the room equalized sound.

This is a good time to understand your limitations in cabinet construction from both toolset and experience.

This is a good time to sketch your room layout to help determine the best speaker to build.
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Huh, I hadn't thought about DSP; I guess because I don't know what the options are. I would like to keep the boxes/wires to a minimum, though. I'm using a Mytek DAC and amp with a Bluesound streamer at the moment, and I like how compact the system is.

I'm just a weekend woodworker, but I have a nice little garage shop. I don't have a CNC or bandsaw, but I do have a sliding tablesaw, tracksaw, shaper, a few routers, Domino, a large vacuum bag setup, etc. I definitely not a pro, but I enjoy a challenge and am willing to own my mistakes

I don't have an electrical background, but I can follow a schematic and have built a couple simple crossovers. I don't have any measurement instruments.

Until I can get a proper drawing:
The "room" is about 12.5' x 15', but it opens on the left to the rest of the first story, and the ceiling slopes from 11' to a second story hallway. It's not a dedicated listening room, so practicality and aesthetics are a consideration.
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

If I were in your shoes, having budget of >3k$, I'd want to test these in person prior to building. Normally you can assume that both of the loudspeakers sound good. I was taught whenever I feel like I need to spend a larger amount of money, to count it three times and after that I will know better if this is something I really need to do. Plastics take away that wisdom.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good advice It's definitely not a "need", and I'd like to spend $0, but I'm willing to spend some money to build something nice. Finding examples to listen too isn't easy, but perhaps you have some suggested designs to seek out?
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:13 PM   #6
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

With a room like that a real set of drawings is imperative.
Also max spl, and do you want to be able to fill the house nicely with music,
or have it keep mostly to your room.
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'll work on a room drawing when I get a chance. I don't have a max SPL number in mind--is a phone mic good enough to get a rough estimate of typical listening level? No need to fill the house with music, just the room.
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

How about my Nephila? Meniscus sells that kit too. If you want smaller, Paul Carmody's Dayton Classic Revivals are very nice. If you want shallower, Scott Sehlin's 'Indium 7" might also suit you.

I'm also working on a 20 ltr tower that will plummet to 45Hz, but finish date is up in the air at the moment.

Later,
Wolf
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:27 PM   #9
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Cider- Lots of questions to ask and learnings to have! Active and full digital everything is a REALLY strong way to go, but has quite high initial investment (high quality multichannel dac off a PC source/crossover is generally the best modern solution).

First thing's first, decide on specifics around size, budget, placement, and how you want to feed them (source type, equipment associated with that (LP? CDP? PC/DAC?)

It's easy to blow out your budget (or, perhaps worse, go too affordable and wind up with something you're not happy with), but the narrower you can define constraints the closer you'll get. Sounds like enclosures are a non-issue as you can do decent woodwork... you had me at vacuum bag. Measurements are definitely recommended, you can look at holmimpulse, some of the dayton products, or go to the very nice Smith and Larson solutions woofertester.com

Take your time, continue to do your homework, and set yourself up for success in adjusting things longer-term by going active if at all possible. This tends not to be a "1 and done" hobby, as there are so many disciplines involved that there's always another improvement to make. A good digital volume control on a PC source, doing crossover before each channel (left tweeter, left mid, left woofer, and so forth) requires more digital to analog converters and amps, but is literally a perfect preamp for PCM (it can be run at 64 bit resolution)
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:49 PM   #10
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Cider,

my suggestion is this, get someone to design you a pair of 3 way slim looking speakers with decent bass capabilities, great midrange and transparent highs, in an acceptably sized cabinet, good on and off-axis radiation for the right amount of money. I would guess 8" woofer, 2" mid dome and either 0.75" or 1.1" dome tweeter. This combination is the right kind for the people enjoying music at moderate listening volume that you'd achieve with a 100W/8R amplifier.

I am not confident there is a kit like that out in the market, hence this idea. Wolfteeth member (Shaffer) is the name that comes to my mind for the job and Meniscus is offering 2 way kits under his name.

Please recommend small tower projectHide this!Advertise here!