Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please recommend small tower project
Please recommend small tower project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2019, 04:31 PM   #21
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cider, SP44 might suit your needs. Drive units only would cost you $1,600. A quote from Madisound on midrange unit Accuton C50-8-044:

"Discontinued, last remaining stock. Once this stock is sold, Accuton will supply replacement units for a short period for existing customers who own a damaged driver. Contact us to arrange for purchase of replacements if your requirements exceed our current stock."

Last edited by Lojzek; 6th December 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:22 PM   #22
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

SIDEBAR___ If you plan to build several speakers in the future, DSP + multiple amplifiers is the best investment.
--The FUTURE is NOW.

You can use your PC software + a multiple output sound card, or purchase MiniDSP type hardware.

An "Avalon style" cabinet with large edge bevels will significantly reduce distortion from edge diffraction.
A 10"-12" wide cabinet will support one or two PORTED 8" woofer which can produce powerful deep bass -F3 ~30Hz.
A 15" wide cabinet will support a SEALED 12" woofer with excellent transient response -F3 ~36Hz.

There are at least 10 DIY Avalon style cabinet clones on the internet. International designs from: America, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Korea, India. DIY designs with one 8" or 10" or 12" front woofer. Larger designs which copy Avalon products with two 8" or 10" or 12" front woofers.

Most listeners favor the tigher, more controlled transients from a sealed woofer vs. a ported woofer. There are a few diy- Avalon style front baffles with the tweeter + sealed midrange, plus a side baffle woofer which have appeared. 11" wide front baffle + 16" deep side baffle.

DECIDE on a cabinet size and the diyAudio forum will help you find designs to build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8+5+1 Aluminum SB Acoustics.jpg (177.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Dual 8.jpg (61.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg MichDuetta09.jpg (48.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 7th December 2019, 04:09 AM   #23
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

The latest Avalon Compas has a VERY ARTISTIC new top bevel design. The slanted baffle creates an equal time delay for the physical shallow tweeter and the physical deep midrange AT ONE listening distance. Typically a passive -LR2 crossover circuit with -90 degree phase shift is used on the tweeter, and a passive +LR2 circuit with +90 degree phase shift is used on the midrange... so they cancel out around the crossover frequency.

I would copy the Compas top bevels on a vertical baffle and use DSP for time delay, OR use steeper slope crossovers like BW3 on the tweeter and LR4 on the midrange to shift the phase=delay between tweeter and midrange around the crossover frequency. You can always put a wooden sloped wedge under the front of a vertical baffle speaker to physically delay the tweeter.
=========
=========
Has anyone sketched a few (Source + DSP + Ampliifers + Speakers + wires + BlueTooth) layout options they can share?

Real world:
--High quality 3 or 4 way sound from DSP crossover + room equalization
--It must be simple to move any speaker 10 feet around the room
--It must simple to DSP connect a different set of speakers
--It would be nice to allow flexible PC placement between rooms
--It would be nice if a powerful PC could simultaneously BlueTooth drive a second set of speakers

my.... OLD SCHOOL INTERCONNECT:
1) PC runs EXTENSIVE crossover and ROOM EQUALIZATION SW and outputs three low level analog signals to the power amps located NEAR(10' coaxial cables) to the PC. One analog output can easily Y-cable drive both intputs to two identical woofer amplifier channels
2) For each channel, three or four long 12-gauge wires go to each speaker (T, M, W or W+W)
3) Advantages:
-Powerful PC with single powerful wireless control for most functions
-Use old power amplifiers with enough power for each individual driver
-Easy to move each speaker 10 feet around the soundstage.
4) BlueTooth card(s) can be added to a powerful PC to drive second/third set of simple passive crossover speakers from the same music database

5) DisAdvantage
-Music PC must be within 30 feet of speakers(10 feet coaxials + 20 feet AWG-12 copper wire)
-Very visible 12-gauge wires
-No music without powerful PC (or maybe dedicated Linux computer)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avalon compas.jpg (75.1 KB, 51 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #24
Cider is offline Cider  United States
diyAudio Member

While I appreciate active crossovers from a technical standpoint, I'm not very excited about yet another pc and more complicated wiring. I do really like the look of those Avalons, though. I located a couple Accuton C50-8-044 that I could use for a pair of SP44s...

Obviously I shouldn't quit my day job, but I tried to represent the room where I listen. I drew in 216mm wide x 280mm deep x 990mm high speakers.

room.png

Please recommend small tower projectHide this!Advertise here!