Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Celilo : A Small, Affordable Two-Way Unity Horn
Celilo : A Small, Affordable Two-Way Unity Horn Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2019, 03:25 AM   #1
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Celilo : A Small, Affordable Two-Way Unity Horn

Here's a new Unity horn project I've been working on. This project is designed to improve on some challenges that I had with my last two projects. (see 1,2)

As I see it, the ideal loudspeaker would play from 20hz to 20khz, from a single point in space, with unlimited SPL.

We want the sound to radiate from a single point in space, because that will yield three improvements:

1) The sound that's reflected from the room will be consistent with the sound that's radiated from the loudspeaker, similar to how instruments behave in the real world.

2) Having the sound radiate from a single point in space improves the intelligibility. For instance, in a conventional loudspeaker, the midrange is radiated from two points in space: the tweeter and the woofer. Because the sound in a conventional speaker radiates from a woofer and a tweeter, this makes it more difficult to understand what people are saying. (intelligibility.) This is one of the reasons that full-range speakers sound so great in the midrange.

3) Having all of the sound radiate from a single point in space, in-phase, improves the imaging.

These three principals are a big part of the "why and how" of my speaker designs, and this project is intended to improve on this foundation.

If you like the sound of full-range speakers, or Unity horns, or the Kef coincident speakers, you might like the sound of Celilo.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's some sims of the new waveguide.

There's a few improvements at work here, compared to my last two projects (1,2)

The "Unitized Image Control Waveguide" project was designed to cram a three way Unity horn into a reasonably sized package. In a nutshell, the idea was to create something similar to Danley's Lambda Unity Horn, or Waslo's Cosynes and Small Syns, but in the smallest footprint possible. My reference speakers at this time are Waslo Cosynes.

The UICW worked pretty well but I didn't like how the enclosure looked, and I thought it might be possible to simplify the thing. Basically create something that performed as well, was easier to build and cost less.

That led to the Metlako project, which wound up being something like seven different speakers. The idea with Metlako was a Unity horn with comparable bandwidth to the Lambda Unity Horn or Waslo's Small Syns, but using 3-5 drivers instead of five or six. Basically extending the bandwith of the midranges, so that dedicated midbasses aren't required.

That worked pretty darn well, particularly the later ones.

My big issue with Metlako was trying to figure out the enclosure. In my house, I have the Cosynes all the way into the corners. I wanted to come up with an enclosure for Metlako that would fit snugly into the corners. I had a heck of a time coming up with an enclosure that would work. If you use a rectangular box, it won't fit into the corners well. If you add some angles to the box, it gets difficult to build, particularly if you're terrible at building boxes, like I am.

I tried using a cylinder for an enclosure, but it was difficult to get the waveguide to fit straight.

Due to my challenges making a box that fits in a corner, I took a different approach, which is to make a waveguide that's aimed off-axis. Basically you can put the waveguide in a conventional box, and it will be cross-fired, because the waveguide itself is cross fired.

Here's a cutaway of the new horn. As you can see, it's aimed OFF axis.

The woofers are MCM 55-1870, same as Metlako. I moved the mids to the top and the bottom, because that improves the horizontal polars.

One *significant* improvement, is that Celilo uses a 16mm throat, instead of a 25.4mm throat. The use of a smaller throat improves the high frequency polar response.

In summary:

Celilo is designed to improve on Metlako and UICW. All three speakers are designed to deliver excellent imaging and intelligibility, at an affordable cost.

For some background, the UICW is here, [url=https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/342019-metlako-affordable-unity-waveguide.html]Metlako is here,[/ur] and my 3D printed compression drivers are here.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 2nd December 2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:05 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

The minimal surface disruption is certainly a nice feature!
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:46 PM   #3
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Nice, as always I yet have to finish my clone of UICW, for simplicity, it will be just placed on topof a 15" woofer. The crossovers are home. I think, before I finish these, there are a few more magnificent waveguides to come from you A 3D printer is my no1 Christmas wish
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:54 AM   #4
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool midrange taps. What drove that idea?
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:13 AM   #5
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Your designs are starting to look more commercially acceptable. Time to upgrade your printer(s) and open up a webstore!
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:25 AM   #6
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Cool midrange taps. What drove that idea?
It's the same idea as the J6 and J7 : horn, bandpass, horn, synergy?

Martin King wrote the best description of the idea, but I can't seem to find his quote at the moment.

In a nutshell, here's how this works:

In a conventional transmission line or horn, the horn or TL expands slowly. For instance, you might build a transmission line that slowly expands from the throat to the mouth.

If you "mask off" some of the horn mouth, it does a couple of things:

1) it lowers the resonant frequency

2) it lowers the efficiency

You can get quite extreme with this. For instance, you can mask off as much as 50% or even 75% of the mouth of the transmission line or horn.

If you mask off a small amount of the mouth, it doesn't have a huge effect on the overall response. And that's what I am doing here. I am basically masking off 29.3% of the midrange taps. It shouldn't have a huge impact on the response of the mids, but it WILL reduce the effect of the midrange taps on the tweeter.

Or it might screw up the entire design! Who knows lol

If it doesn't work I'll just make a new one
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:27 AM   #7
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't wait to see these built and some measures. I'd forgotten how impressive your SAW lens polars were- beast mode.
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:01 AM   #8
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Nice. I like the idea of the parallel-with-the-baffle midrange ports in a line. That should keep them distributed to minimize the summed diffractions effect. I tried a line sort of like that, but going out from throat to mouth, that gave weird effect (I don't remember what, but it wasn't pretty). Let us know when you have some measurements.
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:13 AM   #9
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd be tempted to have the mid port holes equidistant from the HF driver to keep the response across the pattern consistent.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:42 PM   #10
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
It shouldn't have a huge impact on the response of the mids, but it WILL reduce the effect of the midrange taps on the tweeter.

Or it might screw up the entire design! Who knows lol

If it doesn't work I'll just make a new one
That's what I thought, seems intuitively correct to me! It would be interesting though to complete the experiment with typical midrange taps with the same surface area.

Celilo : A Small, Affordable Two-Way Unity HornHide this!Advertise here!