Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

"Onkenhornreflex" design from Germany?
"Onkenhornreflex" design from Germany?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2019, 08:41 PM   #1
kd1yt is offline kd1yt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Onkenhornreflex" design from Germany?

I've been researching about Onken cabinet parameters because I am intrigued by possibly using that type enclosure for something I want to design and build--
--but it seems like the characteristics of a majority of modern speaker drivers cause the Onken calculators to specify silly-long vents.

I ran across some seemingly intriguing discussions and builds on German diy audio forums in which they've supposedly come up with a design that they're referring to as "Onkenhornreflex" and which supposedly shortens the required length of the vents.

One set of conversations:
(original German)(seems to be by (maybe) an originator of this combination of design characteristics):
Klang+Ton-Forum • Thema anzeigen - Bauanleitung Onkenhornreflex CT230 bzw. Aurum

after being fed through Google Translate:
Google Translate

A different thread with some greater detail of the design itself and of the construction techniques:

Nachbau von Kalles Aurum Hornreflex
(google-translated):
Nachbau von Kalles Aurum Hornreflex

[and a related "construction diary"]:
Kalles Aurum Hornreflex [Bautagebuch], Projekte der Nutzer / Nachbauten - HIFI-FORUM
{google translated):
https://translate.google.com/transla...-205-1054.html

The idea seems to have emerged out of discussions that began here, although I am not connecting the dots to understand how it got refined into specific formulas or measurements to apply:
https://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum/...-nein-oder-was

(google translate)
https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

Are these fellows "onto something" or is this just some sort of lucky accident that they came up with something that sounded good?
Old 30th November 2019, 12:25 AM   #2
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

"silly-long vents" - that's because the mouth area of the Onken vents is rather large. It seems to me that the only advantage of the Onken design is that it stiffens the side walls.

"Onkenhornreflex" design from Germany?Hide this!Advertise here!