Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Would like some help with Infinity Kappa 400 crossover
Would like some help with Infinity Kappa 400 crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2019, 09:18 AM   #11
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

For 120 it is easily replaced with a 12 L-Pad
( I still keep the variable rheostats that equipped my original Infinity RS 4001...the ones you used to find in JBL and Altec speakers )
Or...with a fixed L-pad made with two resistors
Resistance Divider For Level Adjustment
Old 26th November 2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Dejau is offline Dejau
diyAudio Member

I just meant that it was really hard to find out what actual value of resistor should be (its obvious that both resistors should be the same but one (9ohm) is within range of 11 ohm and another (23 Ohm) is somewhat within a range of 18 Ohm). In turn I gambled on 11 Ohm to be a correct value and falsely assumed that they may play some part in dampening sensitivity of either a tweeter or midwoofer.

I will now play with audyssey XT32 (I have no calibrated mic) and L-pad (as I see it is really easy) to find how much attenuation I need on tweeter.

There are now only two things I dont get:
1) How come polarity is reversed (amplifier + (positive) goes to tweeter and midwoofer - (negative) but side woofer is in correct polarity (please keep in mind I get phase errors with both speakers in audyssey).
2) As I understand in this stock crossover there was no attenuation done on either tweeter or midwoofer?

Thank you for your patience.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:06 AM   #13
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The phase of the response changes with frequency. Even looking at each driver on its own, the phase varies. Changing polarity is just a way to keep this matched up, so this polarity change is not wrong.

If you get these resistors wrong, it will affect phase. Can you show the audyssey results?
Old 26th November 2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Dejau is offline Dejau
diyAudio Member

Measurements show that I'm looking for problems that aren't there (apart from that mid-range dip from ~2 to 3 kHz (BBC dip?)) – Audyssey measurements.jpg - Google Drive

Last edited by Dejau; 26th November 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 27th November 2019, 01:38 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Some thoughts. There appears to be a small peak above 300Hz and a falling below 300Hz. Could be room modes, but also looks like a mistuned crossover.

Not sure if the 2k dip is intentional, wonder where the upper cross is (without knowing the inductor values).

And knowing where the upper cross is might show whether the woofer is running too high in frequency. Perhaps a flat response might give the impression of too much treble.
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Dejau is offline Dejau
diyAudio Member

I'm still experimenting but at least now I know that the problem (at least it looks like) lied in side-woofer doing very little side-woofing (lets just say both elac 310i, kef LS50 are outperforming my side-woofers in 40-80 Hz range and it's not even comparable to Monitor audio GS10 and silly when compared to wherfedale evo2-50 (LS50 and 310i are less efficient than my kappa's ). Both L and R side-woofers are ok physically, its just that they play full range signal very well (12 000 Hz and I still hear at what appears like half or 1/3 volume or what it was like at 100 Hz). They only have beefy inductor in series (no capacitor in parallel) and do little in that bass range of 40-80 Hz (in adyssey they are classified as small speakers).

At least I have a power amplifier so I will be able to test side-woofers powered seperately (bypassing inductor) and connected with active crossover at 100hz. Will report my findings for any other curious soul.
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:58 PM   #17
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi, you can eliminate the 150 uF high-pass capacitor for the midwoofer, since you can play with the active crossover!
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:59 PM   #18
Dejau is offline Dejau
diyAudio Member

Thanks, will do just that as there is big dip in 120-150 Hz range (and audyssey sets crossover point at 150 Hz) with side-woofer disconnected.

It sounds far better with active side-woofer crossover (bass sounds authoritative even at low volume).

And that causes another question – shouldn't there be a gradual roll-off after crossover point for side-woofer? In passive crossover there is only inductor (quite big, dont have any equipment to measure inductance) connected in series but sound level is pretty much the same at 100 Hz and 1000 Hz and there is little difference even at 7000 Hz (after that roll-off is sharper but that I think has more to do with a driver itself and not a crossover).

Last edited by Dejau; 3rd December 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:15 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The inductor by itself is not enough because the impedance rises against it. Maybe they were expecting that on the side you wouldn't hear the highs. Obviously not the case.

Would like some help with Infinity Kappa 400 crossoverHide this!Advertise here!