Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

An exercise in converting a speaker to time-phase coherent
An exercise in converting a speaker to time-phase coherent
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2019, 07:46 AM   #131
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Might be interesting for some:

Zero Phase In Studio Monitors | audioXpress

Regards

Charles
Old 6th December 2019, 08:07 AM   #132
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

One example is Genelec S360A

Phase linearisation is in the input, before XO and EQs which are probably IIR.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:08 AM   #133
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Interesting link to AudioXpress, had missed this article.

The revelation of this truth, however, will be a sore disappointment to some others. It may not even change behaviour Sunk cost fallacy | behavioraleconomics.com | The BE Hub
Old 6th December 2019, 08:49 AM   #134
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

One more theoretical study about phase linearization with input FIR. This is 3-way with LR8 IIR crossover at 250 and 2500 Hz. Phase responses matched with two 1st order IIR all-pass filters.

Click the image to open in full size.

Maximum phase mismatch at -60 dB below nominal sensitivity is about 5 degrees while it was about 20 degrees with IIR LR4 version shown earlier. Both good enough by far for the purpose.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:59 AM   #135
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What Kimmosto shows is the most computationally efficient way to linearize phase. MiniDSP software does not enable this workflow.
Old 6th December 2019, 09:21 AM   #136
Draki is offline Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
What Kimmosto shows is the most computationally efficient way to linearize phase. MiniDSP software does not enable this workflow.
It does, with OpenDRC-DI upfront. The downside is it needs another hw step after it, i.e. the actual crossover.
Old 6th December 2019, 01:26 PM   #137
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Interesting link to AudioXpress, had missed this article.

The revelation of this truth, however, will be a sore disappointment to some others. It may not even change behaviour Sunk cost fallacy | behavioraleconomics.com | The BE Hub
Your sunk-cost-fallacy link made me laugh, thanks !

Because that's the exact assessment I thought when I read the article a week or so ago
in Voice Coil I think. It read to me like Vance has such a long term investment in his beliefs that he looked for, and cited, evidence to support them.

I get disgusted with myself when I look at all the audio beliefs I've held onto over my life...the purist stage (ie no eq, no tone control, least is best, class A only, etc)...the analog signal stage (digital just can't make true analog waveforms lol)....the maybe digital is OK for recording but not for processing or crossovers stage, more lol)...the phase matters stage...the phase doesn't matter stage ? haha)
Old 6th December 2019, 02:34 PM   #138
john k... is offline john k...  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
I get disgusted with myself when I look at all the audio beliefs I've held onto over my life...the purist stage (ie no eq, no tone control, least is best, class A only, etc)...the analog signal stage (digital just can't make true analog waveforms lol)....the maybe digital is OK for recording but not for processing or crossovers stage, more lol)...the phase matters stage...the phase doesn't matter stage ? haha)
Yep. You can get carried away with the technology. At some point you realize that you aren't listening to the music. Today nothing pleases me more than to go out for a jog and listen a bunch of mp3 audio tracks stripped from YouTube videos played on my SanDisk Clip. But wait, those ear buds don't have a crossover. TP? LOL.

None of this stuff makes speakers better, just different. And that's even more to the point. There is a difference between "I heard a difference", and "it sounds better".
Old 6th December 2019, 02:38 PM   #139
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

And different often sounds better.......for a while.

An exercise in converting a speaker to time-phase coherentHide this!Advertise here!