Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help finding replacement tweeter
Help finding replacement tweeter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 05:01 AM   #1
Tdal is offline Tdal
diyAudio Member

Default Help finding replacement tweeter

Hi all

Long-time lurking first time posting. I started to get into Hi-fi about 2 years ago when I replaced a crazy old (and worn out) stereo with second hand LCR Kef cresta 1 (circa 2001), entry level Yamaha AVR (circa 2015) and a powered subwoofer (circa 2012). All products are entry level, but scored 8/10 or above in their ratings when they came out and to me sound a whole lot better than a comparably priced sound bar. Importantly, it sounds good enough that I want to sound better, and Iíve subsequently started a journey into the audiophile world. Started being the key word as my wife and I also recently had a baby, so while I do find some time to read and research (as a form of relaxing), I havenít actually found the time (or money) to pull the trigger on any new gear (either of the shelf or for DIY).

Recently we had people over and one of my friends kids decided that the tweeter of my left Cresta 1 bookshelf should be pushed in. I am now wanting to find a way to replace it, if reasonably practical.

The specs for the broken speaker are as follows:

KEF Cresta 1

Two Way Bookshelf
25mm 1 inch silk dome tweeter
100mm 4 inch PP coated cone
50Hz Ė 20kHz
3kHz Crossover
70W
8 ohm
6L internal capacity (.211 cubic foot)
11.6 (H) 6.7 (W) 7.4 (D) (Inch)

The tweeter is mounted in a 100mm (3.9 inch) wave guard. I have not yet explored if the tweeter and wave guard can be pulled apart.

So my question is:

1. How hard is it to replace a tweeter on an existing speaker. Is it simply a case of finding a speaker with similar specs (Type, size, impedance, sensitivity), and swapping out, or does it involve re-building the cross over and also replacing the woofer. I am planning a DIY sub build but this now takes precedent, and I through a good way to try out before undertaking a bigger project.

2. If is relatively simple, can anyone recommend a decent tweeter that will likely be suitable for my project? Maybe something from Dayton Audio. Iíve always found the speaker a little dark and recessed, so not opposed to a tweeter that it a bit brighter and more forward.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Today, 07:18 AM   #2
Bromle is offline Bromle  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi

If it is a silk dome tweeter it could be fixed by pulling the dent out with a needle / vacuum cleaner (be careful).

Help finding replacement tweeterHide this!Advertise here!