Stuffing exhaust muffler stuffing stuff as stuffing stuff to muffle speaker cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
e-glass.jpg

Who can speak out of experience? Is this idea just as crazy as the topic title or not?

Muffler-Packing-BBE-560x404.jpg

Hand%20Packed%20Spec%2031%20re-sized.jpg

s-l300.jpg

14290-4.jpg

Am I sane, for looking for solutions in non-sector-related lines of business (is this even English?)

01.png

It's cheap, it's available, it's bad for your health. Checks all boxes.
Just try some of the long-fibred kind for stuffing?
High-flow Chinese Akrapovic knock-offs for bass ports?
Thoughts?

I use melamine foam or wool felt for baffle fronts where I cant be bothered to recess the drivers (I dont posses a router and no more room for power tools)

I recently cut a triangular prism to try a la Geddes, in the throat of the short horn loaded Ribbon tweeter (Fountek)

I managed to pick up a bag of about 50 eraser sponges from local market- which I believe are melamine foam.

They cost maybe a quid or two for the 50.

Using the foam in the horn throat was... slightly too effective. It's not open enough.
Using it inside a closed box, chopped into cubes, works quite well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses!

Haha yes I used the foam sponges professionally when I had a car detailing shop. It works effectively on getting e.g. polish stains out of (feaux)leather trim. Never thought of it this way but it might be suitable for the inside of some of my old poly dome tweeters. The original 'sponges' ironically seem to have been affected by the glue that is supposed to stick them to the rear center of the domes. It is very light iirc. Chopping it into cubes seems like a good idea!

The long fibred stuff in the first picture reminds me of the expensive Twaron fibres, I wonder if it would compare. I never came across the loosely packed version like in the picture, but I did buy it in the form of a mat, approx. 1,5cm thick 30x60cm size for €10 (picture 4 looks like it). It sounded beautifully 'dark' in my moped's exhaust.

I also remember trying the 'steel whool' kitchen pot'n'pan spunge things with thin, long fibres in my moped. It gave a different sound, did not filter high frequency as well as the glass fibre stuff, and cought fire quickly too.

corrugated-rolls-4n.jpg

Corrogated cardboard rolls.. Reckon the 'tubes' are open enough?

GM

Joined 2003
Who can speak out of experience? Is this idea just as crazy as the topic title or not?

Am I sane, for looking for solutions in non-sector-related lines of business (is this even English?)

It's cheap, it's available, it's bad for your health. Checks all boxes.
Just try some of the long-fibred kind for stuffing?
High-flow Chinese Akrapovic knock-offs for bass ports?
Thoughts?

Your English is much better than many of my neighbors and sorry to say, most are natives. :(

Don't know if you're sane or not, but I started this hobby from an automotive POV, so works for me! ;) Much of my basic TL knowledge came from here and still prefer fiberglass insulation for damping: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930092208.pdf

Muffler Packing - Area P :: No Limits

Performance Mufflers

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.