Low tweeter output from passive crossover vs active

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am designing a 2-way speaker and when using the minidsp settled on a crossover of 3500hz. I purchased assembled crossover but they measure completely different than when active. Both are LR 12DB.

Initially when using active, I decided I would also attenuate the tweeter by 2.5db, as it was a bit too bright. With the passive crossover and no attenuation there is significant dropoff.

I bought 2 of the crossovers and tried both with the same result.

This is my first speaker build, is this normal behavior?

Here are the measurements.

Purple is active, green is passive.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3500 active.jpg
    3500 active.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 3500 passive.jpg
    3500 passive.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
50dB per division makes those graphs really hard to compare. 10 or 5dB per division is much more informative.

And what are these things exactly? (And what impedance drivers)

Here are with the tighter scales, active in purple, passive in green.

Tweeter: Dayton Audio DC28FT-8
Dayton Audio DC28FT-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Truncated Tweeter

Woofer: Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII
Aurum Cantus AC-130MKII 5-1/4" Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Woofer

Crossover: Dayton Audio XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,500 Hz
Dayton Audio XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,500 Hz

Thanks

Attachments

• 3500 active.jpg
    3500 active.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 3500 passive.jpg
    3500 passive.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 184
Couple of issues.

Ask a mod to move this to "Multi-Way" speaker forum. You will get many better responses from experienced speaker builders.

No off-the-shelf passive crossover will give satisfactory results. If you want to stay passive, you need to do a lot more research and measuring and modifying of an off-the-shelf unit.

It appears that your crossover point with the active is too high. There is a large dip from 2k to 3.5k that your tweeter could probably fill quite easily. How did you determine 3.5k as the knee of the filter? Try moving it to 2.5k and see if it sounds and measures better.

Peace,
Tom E

Couple of issues.

Ask a mod to move this to "Multi-Way" speaker forum. You will get many better responses from experienced speaker builders.

No off-the-shelf passive crossover will give satisfactory results. If you want to stay passive, you need to do a lot more research and measuring and modifying of an off-the-shelf unit.

It appears that your crossover point with the active is too high. There is a large dip from 2k to 3.5k that your tweeter could probably fill quite easily. How did you determine 3.5k as the knee of the filter? Try moving it to 2.5k and see if it sounds and measures better.

Peace,
Tom E

Yeah I tried to cut a corner with an off the shelf unit. I'm sure a custom crossover would be better but this is for a portable setup so it didn't need to be perfect. I'm just not sure why the complete falloff after 3.5k, if it's affecting the impedance somehow. I figured it'd be fairly standard.

Typically the tweeter would need attenuation which I anticipated, but these results were unexpected.

I'll measure the components and see what they used, guess I'll be returning it anyway.

Thanks

Its odd, the passive crossover seems to be without any resistors, so shouldn't attentuate the high pass (unless the tweeter impedance was completely wrong - that tweeter is 5.4 ohms resistive which might account for some small attenuation).

You have the passive crossover configured for 8 ohm woofer correctly? No obvious damage to it?
Perhaps capacitance meter across the high-pass capacitor to check its OK?

Its odd, the passive crossover seems to be without any resistors, so shouldn't attentuate the high pass (unless the tweeter impedance was completely wrong - that tweeter is 5.4 ohms resistive which might account for some small attenuation).

You have the passive crossover configured for 8 ohm woofer correctly? No obvious damage to it?
Perhaps capacitance meter across the high-pass capacitor to check its OK?

Yes, 8 ohm setting for the woofer.

I have tried both boards I purchased, both have the same result.

Capacitance between the input (+) and tweeter (+) is 5.53uf, which is the same measured between the woofer (+) and woofer (-).

Inductance measured between tweeter (+) and (-) is .76mh.

Inductance measured between input (+) and woofer (+) is .73mh.

Ok.....false alarm.

I reconnected my dac and used it's output, and now the measurement looks as expected!

I have no idea why the minidsp output is affected using the passive crossover.

I bypassed the xover settings for the minidsp, but something must be "off" with it.

Here is the measurement using the dac output.

MUCH better. Still needs a bit of passive tweeter attenuation but that's easy enough.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments

• passive 3500hz dac.jpg
    passive 3500hz dac.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 99
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.