Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Unity/Synergy horn closed vs open back
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2019, 10:54 AM   #41
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlyone View Post
William (Cowanaudio),
DSP would be essential to getting something close to time alignment of the bass horn to the multiple entrant (mid/high) horn.
G'day Phil

I use the Hypex Fusion amps in there. They have inbuilt DSP. The bass/mid time alignment is the easy part.

Quote:
How far down were you able to push the "multiple entrant horn" at 7 feet across I am figuring in the low hundreds of Hz.
A bit below 150Hz. It was two years ago I set up those two systems so I don't remember the exact figure. There is a triplet of potent 98dB/W/M B&C 6" drivers in there that I can lean on pretty hard. Not a lot of horn loading is available to the mids at the crossover point but the sensitivity is still pretty high..

Quote:
While I was using the bass horns I kept toying with the idea of building a bass/ mid horn. That transition from the sub, which you KNOW will be damn big, to a bass/bid horn is always a challenge.
I like to get down as low as possible in one horn. A good MEH will go low enough to cross to a bass horn. I did some two way MEHs for a club in Canberra that cross at 80Hz. They use the 8ndl51 crossed to a BMS4550. Those speakers are passive. You have the knowledge to pull one off too, it just requires a bit of thought and a few simple experiments.

Last edited by cowanaudio; 22nd November 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:10 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
Okay. Understood.
But what differentiates a Unity Horn from any other MEH? I'm new to the concept and find the differences confusion. Even difference between Unity and Synergy is quite confounding.
The Unity horn patent has expired. Many MEHs use ideas that appeared in that patent. I agree that the difference between a Unity horn and a Synergy horn is confounding. Nothing that appears in the claims for the Unity patent is enforceable in the Synergy patent, apparently. I'm not entirely sure what is left. My crossovers are unique and our internal structure and waveguides are markedly different too and driven by our own development.
Old 22nd November 2019, 01:10 PM   #43
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowanaudio View Post
The Unity horn patent has expired. Many MEHs use ideas that appeared in that patent. I agree that the difference between a Unity horn and a Synergy horn is confounding. Nothing that appears in the claims for the Unity patent is enforceable in the Synergy patent, apparently. I'm not entirely sure what is left. My crossovers are unique and our internal structure and waveguides are markedly different too and driven by our own development.
You use a waveguide profile other than a straight sided cone?
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:15 AM   #44
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

is the club with that system open to the public? If so I might drop by and have a look, Im there on and off with work.
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:24 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

It is. Drop me an email, you can join us for dinner while you're in town if you'd like.

Unity/Synergy horn closed vs open backHide this!Advertise here!