Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Unity/Synergy horn closed vs open back
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2019, 10:44 AM   #11
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
You obviously want an omni synergy, why not build one (minus the loading of course)?
Not aware of what omni synergy is. Google doesn't seem to throw up any speakers. Please share any link you have.
Old 12th November 2019, 10:52 AM   #12
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

There isn't one, but this is DIY It appears that you want wide dispersion so why not make an omni source with coincident ranges.
Old 12th November 2019, 10:56 AM   #13
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There isn't one, but this is DIY It appears that you want wide dispersion so why not make an omni source with coincident ranges.
Ok, I see you're suggesting a design direction for me to pursue. Got it!
Old 12th November 2019, 10:58 AM   #14
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
The choice is indeed based on personal listening preferences. Coupled with OBs, the horns should be run at pretty low power but that will only lend to dynamics. My interest in efficiency has more to do with dynamics than loudness.

It seems that the Unity horn is effective above 600 Hz, within reasonable dimensions, even though I can work less perfectly below 600 Hz.

One idea is to have two H-frame 15" double woofers on each side to compensate for loss of OB low end. The lower mid can be incorporated into the horn to make it a 3-way.

What do you think would be a more logical design choice?
Answers and opinions are both welcome
Unity clone
Looks like someone already tried this.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

That was the first published clone of a Unity horn, mine was the second.
Old 13th November 2019, 01:01 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
Ok, I see you're suggesting a design direction for me to pursue. Got it!
Hmm, I was trying to show a way to do the same thing as you. Earlier I was confused (and am again now) whether you saw the open baffle as giving directivity or adding spaciousness, since the two are unrelated (in speakers) but often mixed up. Do you want less sound to the sides or more to the back? That 'dipole sound' is a side effect of the backwave.
Old 13th November 2019, 10:04 AM   #17
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, I was trying to show a way to do the same thing as you. Earlier I was confused (and am again now) whether you saw the open baffle as giving directivity or adding spaciousness, since the two are unrelated (in speakers) but often mixed up. Do you want less sound to the sides or more to the back? That 'dipole sound' is a side effect of the backwave.
The draw of OB at the low end is the lack of boxiness and the sense of encompassment. While I like the dynamics and response of horns at the higher end, where OB sounds too diffuse and lacking impact. I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate a low mid 8" in a four-way where woofer is OB and the high mid and high are a unity horn.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:35 PM   #18
googlyone is offline googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Kees, re: And what sub bass do you prevere as a high efficient system? tapped horn, closed box, slotted sub or just a plain horn (big).

i have done them all except slotted sub.

The only configurations I would describe as efficient are the horn loaded subs.
The 25Hz horn loaded subs I built were awesome but pretty darn big and heavy. They would be a decent efficiency match to a unity horn. They bring dynamics and SPL that I doubt could be achieved by any sane number of OB drivers.

I am only partly sold on Tapped Horns due to limited bandwidth. Their efficiency is highly driver and implementation dependent, and in my experience not up there with more conventional horn loaded arrangements - but in a good setup better than a reflex arrangement over a narrow bandwidth.

After that vented and closed box are if you like a "benchmark" of neutral efficiency.

Open baffle is at lower frequencies quite inefficient. it is battling the laws of physics unless you increase the baffle size to virtually infinite.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

From working with other horns reactance annulling, or putting the driver in a small rear enclosure can reduce HD and tighten things up.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:25 AM   #20
Giri is offline Giri
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlyone View Post
The only configurations I would describe as efficient are the horn loaded subs.
The 25Hz horn loaded subs I built were awesome but pretty darn big and heavy. They would be a decent efficiency match to a unity horn.
What was the design you used to make a 25Hz sub? Please share photos, information etc.

Unity/Synergy horn closed vs open backHide this!Advertise here!