Tyler Acoustics - Scan Speak Revelator vs Scan Speak Illuminator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was curious what the difference was between Scan Speak Illuminator and Scan Speak Revelator was?

The Tyler Acoustics guy says he likes the Revelator more than the Illuminator in terms of the specifications.

I wonder if he's saying that because they're cheaper.

I'm interested in doing myself, but if the Scan Sprak Revelator was in fact better than the Scan Speak illuminator?, I might go with with him

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
- Andy

Depends on which Illuminators and which Revelators, which specification and for what purpose.
In the Illuminator range there is no 8" and larger woofer, so stating that the Revelator range have better spec is right, or at least have more options than the Illuminator.

Last edited:
As noted, it depends on the model. When Zaph measured the 6 1/2in 8ohm models, the Revelator had the slightly lower HD and a somewhat more linear response under his test conditions. They're both excellent examples of the type; depends what you're trying to do with them.

'Better' is a floating point that depends on how you define it (same for 'good quality' or words to the same effect), so there's no real answer to that.

What do people widely accept as the "best drivers".

They don't, because 'best' means different things to different people & those people all have different requirements.

Because I know in home audio, the Rhythmic FV18 is considered like the best retail subwoofer.

I'll take your word for it, I've never heard anybody describe it (or anything else) as 'the best'. Generally speaking, you can be fairly certain that if something is described using the word 'best' without specific details, context and caveats, the people who used that word don't actually know what they're talking about. ;)

Is there something like that in speaker drivers?
Like the drivers that test the best?

See above. Not really. There are too many variables. Generally speaking, linear response in the intended operating BW with low distortion (and as high an efficiency as practical) is a good guide. Assuming it does other things you want it to do.

I'm not sure who here has actually listened to all these drivers. But first you should be talking about which specific drivers you're talking about. As an example: 12mu vs 12m. Or 18wu/8741 vs 18w/8531.

They have different characteristics and they do sound different. Both are very good drivers. For midranges, I'd take the 12mu over the 12m in almost all circumstances, I've owned and tested both. The 12mu is a superior driver.

I suppose the drivers I'm interested in are Seas, Accuton and Scan Speak, Dynaudio (still available via woofersetc.com] and Audio Technology.)
I know the "best" is subjective, but I want to know what to use that would have the least distortion, and the most neutral.
I don't know if anyone had any input. I know that's a lot of drivers. But I'm after neutral and the least distortion.

Any input?

I was curious what the difference was between Scan Speak Illuminator and Scan Speak Revelator was?

The Tyler Acoustics guy says he likes the Revelator more than the Illuminator in terms of the specifications.

I wonder if he's saying that because they're cheaper.

I'm interested in doing myself, but if the Scan Sprak Revelator was in fact better than the Scan Speak illuminator?, I might go with with him

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,
- Andy

It depends

Both illuminator and Revelator shares symetric drives.
Illuminator have underhung neodynium motorisations
Revelator use conventional ferrites (except the tweeters and the 12 m )
Big drivers only exist in the revelator line, illuminator is limited to 6,5 inch (18 WU)
For the results , it depends on the drivers . There is no general rule

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.