Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Mordaunt Short - Carnival Series 2 (1976) Crossover and Tweeter Help Needed!
Mordaunt Short - Carnival Series 2 (1976) Crossover and Tweeter Help Needed!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhalha View Post
Thanks Galu! Would this be a suitable replacement?
The capacitors to which you referred in your original post are adequate for the job.

If you find that the tweeters are truly faulty, then look for suitable paper cone replacements - ones with similar physical dimensions.

Such tweeters are not expensive, so taking a chance on buying a pair to see how they blend in would be worth considering - we're not talking ultimate fidelity with these speakers.

Here's a possibility:

VIS TW 6NG: VISATON cone tweeter at reichelt elektronik

The original tweeters are Peerless units - read about them here:

McIntosh Drivers--Tweeters
Old 9th November 2019, 11:21 AM   #12
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Our side of the pond was happy with conservative treble. The concept that any treble that stands out, ie that doesn't balance in, will draw attention to itself and speakers shouldn't do that.
Old 9th November 2019, 12:31 PM   #13
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu;

If you find that the tweeters are truly faulty, then look for suitable paper cone replacements - ones with similar physical dimensions.

Such tweeters are not expensive, so taking a chance on buying a pair to see how they blend in would be worth considering - we're not talking ultimate fidelity with these speakers.

Here's a possibility:

[url=https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/visaton-cone-tweeter-vis-tw-6ng-p22559.html?PROVID=2788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Kf_7fjc 5QIVAuDtCh3kIQucEAYYASABEgL34fD_BwE&&r=1
VIS TW 6NG: VISATON cone tweeter at reichelt elektronik[/url]

The original tweeters are Peerless units - read about them here:

McIntosh Drivers--Tweeters
Also the Monacor HT-22/8 are surprisingly good cone tweeters. They are round though. I don't know if they are available locally.
Old 9th November 2019, 05:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhalha View Post
Tweeter: The units are pretty dusty / crusty and when I tap them, they give off a bit of a crackly sound.
According to the link I supplied, the Peerless tweeter has a very lightweight cone/voice coil assembly and doesn't even have a spider to centre the voice coil.

So, after all these years, it is not surprising that the voice coil should be scraping in the magnetic gap, accounting for the 'crackling' sound you have heard!
Old 9th November 2019, 05:27 PM   #15
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

This was a common problem, even new from the Peerless factory.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:27 AM   #16
lhalha is offline lhalha  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Jaycar have suitable 10uF 100V Electrolytic Crossover Capacitor to replace the original ELCAP electros.
The Polycarbonate cap could be replaced with a modern polypropylene perhaps...Jaycar have these too.

So I am off to Jaycar today, as it looks like they have all these parts in stock. Go Aussie!

For the 4.7 uF - they have both these parts (you can see from the URLs - no need to click) with the polypropylene being $12.50 a pop and the electros much cheaper. In my original image, my understanding from the thread responses is that the multi-coloured cap is not an electrolytic type. So would you advise that I drop the $25 on two of the polys, or could I replace that with a modern electro?

Thanks again for all your help!

4.7uF 250V Metallised Polypropylene Crossover Capacitor | Jaycar Electronics

4.7uF 100V Electrolytic Crossover Capacitor | Jaycar Electronics
Old 12th November 2019, 12:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The muti-coloured cap is a plastic film cap. There is probably no great advantage in replacing it at all!

Technically, you would be best to replace like with like, which means going for the polypropylene cap.

Personally, with this speaker, I don't think either of your three options is likely to be audibly superior to the others.
Old 12th November 2019, 03:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Jaycar have suitable 10uF 100V Electrolytic Crossover Capacitor to replace the original ELCAP electros.
The Polycarbonate cap could be replaced with a modern polypropylene perhaps...Jaycar have these too.

So I am off to Jaycar today, as it looks like they have all these parts in stock. Go Aussie!

For the 4.7 uF - they have both these parts (you can see from the URLs - no need to click) with the polypropylene being $12.50 a pop and the electros much cheaper. In my original image, my understanding from the thread responses is that the multi-coloured cap is not an electrolytic type. So would you advise that I drop the $25 on two of the polys, or could I replace that with a modern electro?

Thanks again for all your help!

4.7uF 250V Metallised Polypropylene Crossover Capacitor | Jaycar Electronics

4.7uF 100V Electrolytic Crossover Capacitor | Jaycar Electronics
Old 12th November 2019, 03:34 AM   #19
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The woofer inductor could have a high permeability core. It is a guess without measurements, but with its size it may vary with power in.
Old 12th November 2019, 03:53 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone - I have replaced the 10 uF cap and tested the tweeters with a DMM - readings were 1.4 for one and 2.4 for the other. I'm going to research some cheap replacement drivers, following some of the suggestions above. Thanks all

Mordaunt Short - Carnival Series 2 (1976) Crossover and Tweeter Help Needed!Hide this!Advertise here!