Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How to get more boomy bass?
How to get more boomy bass?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 09:16 PM   #11
R Kneck is offline R Kneck  United States
diyAudio Member

You could try putting the cabinet tight against a wall, and then in a corner.
DATS V3 from Parts Express:
Dayton Audio DATS V3 Computer Based Speaker & Audio Component Test System
Old 7th November 2019, 10:01 PM   #12
tsmith1315 is offline tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

The woofers look like 80's Braun or HECO German drivers. I would expect either of those to be pretty good, but not boombox material. Got pictures of the backs of the drivers?
Old 8th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #13
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Yes, put the speaker into a room corner and the listening chair in to the opposite room corner, if that is not enough then tune the bassreflex higher in freq
Old 8th November 2019, 02:56 PM   #14
Igla is offline Igla  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

R Kneck;
I have the cabinet against the back wall but I have no option to put it in the corner in my working room.
I think the bass will be more boomy in my daughters room but I will need to test it. This project is suppose to be a surprise so I need to wait till she go somewhere so Iíll have an hour or two to test the response in her room.
I need to check this loudspeaker test system. Thanks for the link.

Tsmith1315;
Yes; Iím 100% sure they are copy of some German drivers. They were made by Ei Nis factory. From all I could find on the net those woofers were always used in closed cabinets. Couldnít find any bass reflex cabinets with those drivers. I also think those woofers are not ment to give fat and boomy bass. As my tests show they indeed are not the best option for my project.
I have attached a few photos of the woofer.

celef;
I will try to shorten bass reflex ports centimeter by centimeter during weekend and listen to the results.

For the sake of experiment and learning and mostly to have some fun I was thinking to replace the upper woofer with (about 30$):
WS 20 E - 8 Ohm | Visaton
and the bottom woofer with this (about 40$):
WS 25 E - 8 Ohm | Visaton

What do you think about those two woofers? Would they work in 55 liters cabinet?
I couldnít find any cheaper woofers around here. If I order the drivers from letís say Germany or UK I would pay more for shipping then the cheap woofers cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5205_001.jpg (165.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5206_001.jpg (124.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5206_1_001.jpg (975.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 8th November 2019, 03:46 PM   #15
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

I 'd order some coils & caps instead of New speakers. A midrange driver, perhaps.
Old 8th November 2019, 04:04 PM   #16
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

You'd be far better off buying some cheap prebuilt speakers. Chucking random drivers in a box without accurate measurements will never work out well.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:34 PM   #17
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'm going to tell the story again:

Take a stereo amp, make a L+R channels mixer with two resistors (+ cap)
Take some single spare speakers, like 5" woofer and 3 " fullrange.
Build a cab for the woofer: mine was double chamber reflex> good bass<

THIS IS IT!

OH, yes: after the amplifier, each speaker has its own LP or HP
Again: some spare passive components do the job
Old 8th November 2019, 07:15 PM   #18
Igla is offline Igla  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

fatmarley;
I know and I agree.
This was a project to replace boombox experiment I built for my daughter a few years ago.
It was fast and cheap built with some Westra 8'' woofers and some cheap tweeters from old radio. The box was made of computer cardboard box … you know … paper towels and some wood glue.
So; here we are.
I was bored and those woofers from Ei and other drivers (more Westra mid tone drivers and tweeters) were sitting on my shelf for +30 years so I said… what the hell … I’m bored …. let’s do an experiment.

I need to say; I’m used to full range loudspeakers/TDA1543 NO OS DAC/Gainclone/TPA3116D2/Valve amp sound but this boombox work very well as it is and the sound is not bad at all. The bass is good and deep enough, mids are just where I like them and hights are soft but detailed if you take in account cheap and old drivers.

BUT …. boombox should not sound good. Bass must be boomy and blown up and one note and exaggerated, would you agree? This is what an average teenager wants. That’s why they’re listening to those JBL one note bass battery loudspeakers and similar.

So I nicely asked this forum how to make loudspeakers more boomy with the drivers and other parts I already have on the shelf in my working room.
As simple as that.

picowallspeaker;
My English is somehow rusty so I didn’t fully understand your answer; sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boombox_1.jpg (355.0 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Igla; 8th November 2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 8th November 2019, 09:32 PM   #19
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

perhaps a passive filter (twin T?) at line level could give you the best of both worlds.... then you could switch it in or out
Old 8th November 2019, 09:43 PM   #20
tsmith1315 is offline tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igla View Post
I’m bored …. let’s do an experiment.

…. boombox should not sound good. Bass must be boomy and blown up and one note and exaggerated, would you agree? This is what an average teenager wants.

So I nicely asked this forum how to make loudspeakers more boomy with the drivers and other parts I already have on the shelf in my working room.
As simple as that.
Biggest woofer you can get into the box, then add lots of boost and a port to try to make up the lost bottom end = boomy one-note teenager bass. I lived in the car audio world for some years, and that all-too-familiar technique is one of the reasons I finally exited.

With what you have already built, (if you're not concerned about shredding the old Ei Nis woofers) try reducing box size significantly, like 30% to start. Just stuff something solid in there to take up space and see where that takes you. Bricks, books, basset hounds, look around and see what you've got that will go through the woofer hole. I'd start with port frequency in the 50 Hz ballpark. Keep experimenting with it.

A pair of the 20cm Visatons would probably serve your purpose well, you might even get a pair of 25cm's working in there. But since this is experiment and amusement, I'd fool around a bit more with the currently paid-for woofers first.

Be aware: All of these suggestions go against the normal hi-fi aspirations of the forum and are likely to be eschewed as something that will not work.

How to get more boomy bass?Hide this!Advertise here!