Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3D printed K-Tube for 1" compression drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2019, 05:50 PM   #21
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Freddi, I am a bit lost here - what do you mean by K6.5? A scaled down K-enclosure, that would use k-tube or mini-klam as the HF?
Old 13th November 2019, 12:13 AM   #22
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

YES - a small K enclosure which could either work as a midrange module with the mini-klam on top. (also the enclosure sans top part could run the CX I ordered)

MIDRANGE
Click the image to open in full size.

6CX
Old 13th November 2019, 10:19 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

The BC 6PEV13 looks like a great loudspeaker, it was one of the candidates for my never realized mid horn. I am curious about the result. A small pair of K boxes should sound good.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:37 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

The test thread is printed. I hope it will be fine, then I could also make variants for threaded CDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D9A6D7C-DEC9-4CB8-9035-C1E583F84301.jpeg (78.9 KB, 251 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 12:11 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

So the first impression is, that the mini-klam has wider dispersion and therefore lower sensitivity. I doubt I will have a chance to confirm that by measurements before end November. I tried the K-tube on both sides and as expected, they seem to work fine. I will maybe have a chance to listen louder tomorrow. In the horizontal plane, the sweet spot is quite large, but since the stack is high, the balance is changing in the vertical plane.

To improve that, I think I would need to have a point source from ca 600 Hz up. Unitized Image Control Waveguide is coming to the tests soon
Old 16th November 2019, 08:02 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

regarding horizontal dispersion - with my paper and tape version, that was my impression too (and probably on an inroom graph). Something I thought cool was that there didn't seem to be much output above its top/long plate. So probably should be placed somewhat above ear level.
Old 16th November 2019, 02:55 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I got my hands on some RCF N252 tweeters, which have unusual interface to the horn. A K-tube or mini-klam should be a good match for it. The exit is 1.2", so I woul need to make the tube with larger diameter, the mini-klam would need just a different hole. I desperately need to measure the prototype to see how that would work
Old 17th November 2019, 01:06 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Some quick measurements. The flattest response (1/12 oct. smoothed) is perpendicular to the slot plane (kind of expected) and the dispersion is sort of OK, but nothing really amazing. For comparison, a cut off horn ca 5 cm deep, conical and around 60x40 degrees - and that one is not smoothed! Gating -1;3 on both. As I see it, the K-tubes are way better than the mini-klam (at least the one I made)

I wonder what a flat baffled slot would do. I will try to put up a model in 3D and maybe do a test print just to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiniKlamHorizontal.jpg (66.3 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg ShortConical.jpg (88.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg ShortConical2.jpg (76.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:14 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I'd still love to have a pair of those micro-klam K-lenses (how much for materials and hassle to print a pair?) - could not find a graph and the posterboard - tape construction probably was acoustically transparent in places

Old 22nd November 2019, 09:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Freddi, the cost to print was less than 10 USD for a par if I remember correctly - and it is an easy print. The STL file used is attached to post 20 in this thread - I am pretty sure you can get it printed locally or by mail order in the US. And if you have any feedback, I can modify the model for you or make a new one. It is not too difficult.

3D printed K-Tube for 1" compression driversHide this!Advertise here!