Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3D printed K-Tube for 1" compression drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2019, 11:41 PM   #11
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

This was a lot more difficult that I would say at the first look. I think I learned to understand some techniques, next time it would be faster to do this. I am still not decided if this is going to print or not. I tried to make some transition from the circle to square at 10 mm (plate thickness + 5 mm below the angled part).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MiniKlam.jpg (68.0 KB, 373 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Here are some quick polar measurements. They confirm my impression, that they are more directive than the ARB-2 horns. They are not called sound lasers for nothing All the measurements are spaced roughly 10 degrees apart. Above means above the upper side with the slot down.

I would see the dispersion as 40 x 20 degrees, horizontally symmetrical and vertically on axis and 20 deg below. I would point the tubes slightly above listeners head and horizontally on axis or up to 10 deg off axis for nice symmetry. All that above ca 3.5 kHz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KTubeHorizontal.jpg (107.5 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg KTubeVertAbove.jpg (99.3 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg KTubeVertBelow.jpg (88.9 KB, 346 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:50 PM   #13
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw - I think it sounds pretty good off axis.and up close That data looks good.

Re: "Sound Lasers" haha - interesting they achieve any directiviy at all for the small size involved. I believe
Carf Neuser said in PA work The Tube would be pointed at the back row of the audience. He also said
Ted Nugent used two of them mounted one above the other with tips butted.

What happens when a sizable baffle (relative to the Tube's base plate) is introduced at the driver exit plane? - Does that smooth the low end response?

By "above" the tube - I assume that means the mic was pretty much pointing straight down the tube - is that correct?

here's a couple of old graphs of mine

30 foot - homemade tube, Transylvania tube and K703 horn. K703 was described as a tractrix horn.
CD8 was Eminence's old aluminum diaphragm 1" compression driver.

Click the image to open in full size.

off axis - iin room - eyeballing the angles - looks like 30 off in the horizontal tracked pretty close to on axis

IG81's Tube with BMS 4550 driver "on axis" (think was tilted ~30 degrees)

Last edited by freddi; 2nd November 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

pelanj -In post 12 when discerning the tube's horizontal chararacteristics I gather the tube's long axis was parallel with the floor (?) If so, it would be interesting to see how the composite patterns look with the tube tilted 30 degrees "up". In practice, that type tube can sound pretty good - even Carl's extended length version of one Karlson X15 tube sounded nice (but measured rouigh due to its funky transitions from a little tube to the main tube - Carl said in that case it takes a lot of microphone points to tell the whole story (?) In my graph posted above, 30 off horizontal with the tube tilted 30 degrees was pretty mucH the same as 0 degrees. Going to 60 degrees off, things had dropped ~10dB by 10KHz. I should have taken off -horizontal axis curves at various microphone heights to see what happens.

Last edited by freddi; 5th November 2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I definitely need to take it outside to get some reliable data.
Old 11th November 2019, 08:55 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

A quick teaser - the mini Klam is already printed. It is waiting for me when I get back from my business trip

Edit: I am searching for an 18TPI compression driver thread model, so that I could make some screw on variants of the K-Tubes. Any tips how to make in Fusion 360 or where I could find these?

Last edited by pelanj; 11th November 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12th November 2019, 11:33 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The thread function is built in I am having a test print made to see if I modeled a correct thread.
Old 12th November 2019, 12:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

re: the teaser = WOOOHOOO ! I bet that lens has only been heard by a handful in the entire world. The small size would make it nice to build into a mid/high module. When you get tiime tell me your thoughts for a "K6.5" as ordered some B&C 6PEV13 (HOPE they aren't clones as were very cheap !!)
Old 12th November 2019, 03:47 PM   #19
1hiep0 is offline 1hiep0  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelanj View Post
A quick teaser - the mini Klam is already printed.
This is rather interesting could you post STL file? Thanks,
Old 12th November 2019, 05:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I thought I already had posted it Here you are.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MiniKlam v5.zip (138.3 KB, 18 views)

3D printed K-Tube for 1" compression driversHide this!Advertise here!