Altec 515B- original cone vs. aftermarket

Hello,
could some expert please confirm whether this is an original Altec 515B cone or an aftermarket one. Never seen such a cone on original Altec speakers, hence my question. Could maybe made by GPA?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
One cone is stamped "OCSC-5165". Is this original Altec cone number?
Yes, there are many things look non- original, the band around the dust cap, visible grain structure missing, the surround has no shining laquer painted on, color of the cone seems light blue/green. But seller (like any other seller) claims the cones to be original Altec. Its just that I would like to judge myself and learn how to select original Altec cones vs. aftermarket, because aftermarket shoulnd't sound as good as the old originals.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Sorry, no. It's an Orange County Speaker re-cone: Orange County Speaker Repair is now GLS Audio

Worse, even later 515B, factory re-cones don't sound the same and it's my understanding that GPA can only replicate the last version of it, so for me if mine should become damaged I'll probably just sell them as is and move on now that there's other brand's neo motor drivers with as good or better 'tone', etc., plus higher power handling, less weight [a big deal now at my level of decrepitude :(].

GM

Sorry, no. It's an Orange County Speaker re-cone: Orange County Speaker Repair is now GLS Audio

Worse, even later 515B, factory re-cones don't sound the same and it's my understanding that GPA can only replicate the last version of it, so for me if mine should become damaged I'll probably just sell them as is and move on now that there's other brand's neo motor drivers with as good or better 'tone', etc., plus higher power handling, less weight [a big deal now at my level of decrepitude :(].

GM

Hi GM,

This guy’s recone job of older 416 variants using the GPA kit kinda hints that the mass is now somewhat heavier and the dustcap screen vent is thicker than the old ones, with a water-based goop used this time for the surrounds.. It’s interesting that they sent him the wrong size gaskets?

Still, looks top notch quality though..

YouTube

Last edited:
Hi GM,

This guy’s recone job of older 416 variants using the GPA kit kinda hints that the mass is now somewhat heavier and the dustcap screen vent is thicker than the old ones, with a water-based goop used this time for the surrounds.. It’s interesting that they sent him the wrong size gaskets?

YouTube

Thanks for the link, that's a nice recone video.

:)

GM

Joined 2003
Hi GM,

YouTube

Greets!

Interesting! Have read lots of folk's that have used GPA recone kits, some on even really old drivers and nary a one has commented about the gasket issue or different DC screen.

EPA mandated the switch to a latex based dope, but C.P. Moyen's replacement works just as well as its acetone? based predecessor and a heck of a lot less messy, smelly.

Re added mass, the 16 ohm were heaviest, then beginning with the 8 ohm they dropped down, then each new model was heavier, working their way back to 16 ohm weight.

I can only speculate as to why, but the lightest is the 416-8B, so combined with AlNiCo, little wonder why it's the all time fan favorite. ;)

GM

GM
Hi GM,

just came across this interesting post from 2 years ago where you state that "there's other brand's neo motor drivers with as good or better 'tone'".
I'm very curious to know what other brands you are referring to that have similar or better tone compared to your 515B's? I have gone through a number of highly regarded modern 15" but none of them had the wondeful tone of my Altec 416-8B's, and I'm sure the 515B's are even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user