3d modelling software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.rhino3d.com

Not cheap but not expensive. This is the best bang for buck in the 3D industry. Ultra-intuitive interface. With no experience in 3D, you can start modelling in a day and be 50% proficient in a week. I know, that was my learning curve. More important, it will import/export just about every other file format so sending your job out to a machinist or woodshop CNC is a cinch. Plus, if you need to view a 3D file from someone else, it's almost guaranteed not to be a problem.

There is a free 30 day eval. And the academic prices are some of the best I've seen.

:)ensen.

Also check out the web support email list.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=xover&group=rhino

Not only does the software mfg use the email list to provide technical support to both novice and pro users, but they also use it to develop the next betas, service packs and versions. And let me tell you, the users do not pull punches... if something doesn't work quite right they let everyone know and quickly.

Just like on diyAudio, a search through the post archives will usually find you an answer to the basic questions.

Oh yeah... one more thing. Take a look at the Penguin plug-in for Rhino. Now that is a killer app!

:)ensen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BL21DE3 said:
How about this MAYA Personal Learning Edtion

Available for Mac (OS X) too... not really aimed at accurate CAD drawing, amazing tool for the price

Devil_H@ck said:

Also OS X, this one is really targeted at Architecture

Me, i'm still using a copy of Alias Sketch! that i got for free with my LaserWriter IIg (i did pay for an upgrade)

dave

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.