diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Multi-Way (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Box port or crossover dippity do (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/344144-box-port-crossover-dippity.html)

Lojzek 29th November 2019 03:45 PM

A middle of the road complexity crossover solution is by far the closest to the optimal if we were to analyze an average hi-fi commercial loudspeaker. The simplest I would approve as a succesful design would be a single LP inductor, and a 2nd order electrical with a padding resistor for the tweeter HP. This assumes a well behaved woofer cone as paper and polypropylene usually are. Obviously woofer metal cones need further attention in form of network circuits to shape their response whenever employed near break-up region. Further complexity to the circuit could be in shaping the impedance, either to make an amplifier see an easier load and/or to improve spl summation of woofers in the bass region where larger impedance peaks usually exist.

8ntractor 29th November 2019 10:05 PM

thank you Lojzek and Allen
I am wondering if a simplified crossover would sound better even thou the speakers sound good this crossover was designed for the metal and less efficient woofers. I found the mic at solens so I will buy on Monday with a few different size resistors.

AllenB 29th November 2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Reducing the tweeter crossover ..... An impedance flattening stage would have to be added
So not really simplifying, just rearranging? Your crossover has a job to do. It may be doing more than is obvious such as taking out the woofer breakup region. Such comparisons should be made under better controlled circumstances.

8ntractor 30th November 2019 01:49 PM

Thanks Allen, As I am reading more and more I get ideas and like they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I am just going to get the microphone and measure and go from there. I just saw a way to take 2 caps and a resistor out of the tweeter crossover and flatten the impedance. But like I read somewhere xsim is not a video game.

AllenB 30th November 2019 11:18 PM

I once came to the same feeling.. However crossover hacking can lead to strange and unpredictable results with a more complex circuit, leading to a half-baked conclusion.

8ntractor 1st December 2019 03:21 PM

I think you are correct Allen. I imagine Joe, the guy who designed the Thor crossover, would know a little more about D' Appolito crossovers than I do.:). I think getting the mic is a good idea. I really do not know where I am without it.

8ntractor 8th December 2019 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crazy but our Canada Post man showed up today SUNDAY and dropped off the microphone. Here are the first readings directly to holms with right and left speakers at 1 meter gated just the way holms recorded it. Not sure about the phase I have read about it but I have been having trouble comprehending it. it looks like the phase changes 180 degrees at the crossover would that not mean a poor crossover cohesion?

8ntractor 8th December 2019 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the left speaker with the parallel cap and resistor removed the treble is a little flatter. not sure which is better. seems there is a hump at 2k.

8ntractor 8th December 2019 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic with severe smoothing to see the impact of removing the parallel cap and resistor. blue is with the components removed. note 1 db gridlines.

AllenB 8th December 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ntractor (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/344144-box-port-crossover-dippity-post6001635.html#post6001635)
it looks like the phase changes 180 degrees at the crossover would that not mean a poor crossover cohesion?

No, it just means your tweeter is rolling off.