Box port or crossover dippity do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the measurements at 1 meter inverted is the way I normally leave it and normal is with the tweeter with the same +/- as the woofers . the second chart is smoothed and the suckout is less.

Attachments

• Screenshot (75).png
    Screenshot (75).png
    398.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot (76).png
    Screenshot (76).png
    428.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
There seems something not computing right in the sim, hence I asked you to perform the mod in post #182. I am confident that you could settle for either of the solutions:

1. R2, R3 and C4 removed
2. R2 removed
3. R3, C4 removed
4. exchange R2 for another value of your preference (1; 1.5; 2; 2.5; 3.3;etc), R3,C4 removed

thank you Lojzek

There is something that seems odd for sure. here are the charts with R2, R3 and c4 in and out. I tried running with out R2 and just R3 and C4 but the tweeter did not make any sound. there is only about a 5 db difference and almost no difference in the null I must be doing something incorrect.

Attachments

• Screenshot (69).png
    Screenshot (69).png
    501.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
    511.3 KB · Views: 55
here is the same data allowing holms to set the gating. this is with a straight wire in the place of R2. so R2 C4 and R3 are removed. note that the steps are 2 db the second chart is with C4 and R3 in and r 2 removed

Attachments

• Screenshot (81).png
    Screenshot (81).png
    468.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot (83).png
    Screenshot (83).png
    518 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
ok here is a little clearer picture. this is all out- all in - and just c4 and r3 in (r2 out) I had to move the gating to get a clear picture. What are we looking for what defines better? I also added the gating at 100 but it is hard to see anything I also wanted to add the data smoothed not the dip at 2k

Attachments

• Screenshot (85).png
    Screenshot (85).png
    612.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot (86).png
    Screenshot (86).png
    635.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot (87).png
    Screenshot (87).png
    528 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ok, now it's clear. The only issue here is to decide which modification will sound better to you. Try listening for awhile with R2 removed, and the rest of the original crossover in place. Then try removing R3,C4 and introduce back R2. If you feel up to further experiment, observe the option 4 of the post #183.

edit: and lower the gating to between 100-400 for observing response. Reverse null is not the issue right now. It could be modified, not without messing with LP filter which is not what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank Allen and Lojzek. I have tried several combinations on the cross over and different configurations on the felt along with changes to the port length and the speakers sound pretty good. the port change helped a little with the bass. and adding a 1cu cap to the 8.2 levels out the upward slope on the upper midrange. the best combination on the tweeter was removing r2 c4 and r3. still a little work to do and I think the cabinets are still too large for these drivers.. Anyway thanks again I do apologize for the poor measurements and taking up your time with the poor measurements through out this process Have a great holiday

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks 8. I was just reminiscing on another thread about a time I preferred brighter treble, but it was short lived. Unless it sounds natural it eventually becomes wearing. The other side of the coin is the wider baffle for cleaner and better balanced upper bass, but that's another story ;)

they do sound a little bright I keep telling my wife they are too bright but they measure fairly flat. I probably need to stop messing with with them for awhile. Give it a week or two and them add the smaller resistors and cap back in and leave it for awhile again. My other speakers that we listen to much more are the mark audio 10.3 in trapezoid mar-ken boxes. They are suprisingly full range but a little peaky in the 7 -15khz treble so may be influencing my judgement.

Attachments

• Screenshot (93).png
    Screenshot (93).png
    464.2 KB · Views: 49
So confusing. I read that speakers should measure flat to within 1/2 db. that they should have a downward tilt. an upward tilt. a dip in the midrange. a dip from 1 to 3 k, a rise at the baffle step. then to your point the person making the recording is listening on Yamaha speaker which will sound nothing like mine. and he has to make the recording sound good on a apple I phone or mostly in my case with old vinyl some Henry Kloss speaker from the 60s. they if you look at the raw data +/-8db would look pretty good. and then there is the room. I wonder if I was better off with out knowing anything and just listening. but where would the fun be in that. Have a great holiday

Ben

Hi Allen thank you again for all of your help I meant the last post to be funny. I cannot get over the difference the felt makes thank you again for showing me the Holms software. The treble does drop off a little at 2 meters. I worked on the port tuning, felt cut out and speaker position. There is more work to do but here is what I have so far. thank you again and have a great holiday.

Attachments

• Screenshot (94).png
    Screenshot (94).png
    419.2 KB · Views: 52
just wanted to comment on the port and the room I shorted the port to 3 3/4 inches and was able to get the bass a little better. I think a big factor is the room at least with that woofer and cabinet combination. the bottom trace is about the best bass reading I can get at 1 meter in the basement room. the top trace is the full range speaker I use upstairs and it was measured upstairs. I think the next move is to make a smaller box for the speakers and move it upstairs. the Nextel drivers do seem to be considerably different than the mag drivers. The middle line is the original thor with the spl meter that explains the upper tilt to the treble. but the original thors where a better speaker in that room.

Attachments

• Screenshot (96).png
    Screenshot (96).png
    372.3 KB · Views: 30
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.