What should I do with the woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Again I'm thinking of what I'm going to do with my future system. The thing I have most difficulty with is what I should do with the woofers.
My room is rather small and I have the idea I'm not experiencing the bass optimally because of my close proximity to the woofers. So what I would like to do is seperate the woofers from the main mid-high section and place them further back in the room or even in the corners. So basically bookshelf speakers with subwoofers, though playing a little higher than normal. This should improve my perception of the bass and might also bring some of the advantages of corner-loading with it. Though the thing I'm strugling with is the crossover from the mid-woofer to the woofers. How high can I take the mid-woofer crossover the woofers are placed away. I would like something in the range of 200 to 250 Hz. Is this possible? Those frequencies are pretty much entirely omnidirectional but I doubt the actual effect it will have on the placing of the overall sound.

Thoughts?

Assuming You have a three way system You have two options:

DSP & Separate amps for the woofers and mid-high, and disable the woofer crossover part in the mid-high cabinets.
Bring the crossover connections for the woofers to the outside of the mid-high cabinet and connect them to the new woofers.
I believe the first option is preferable since You can tweak settings.

Well when i stand back as much as I can I have the idea I'm getting a bit better bass. Also before this system I used to have a system with a sub. First I used to have that under my desk, right beside my listening position and I could barely even hear it. Then when I one day moved it to the back of the room, I got all the bass.

Though the thing I'm strugling with is the crossover from the mid-woofer to the woofers. How high can I take the mid-woofer crossover the woofers are placed away. I would like something in the range of 200 to 250 Hz.
/
Why are you restricting the xo point from 200 to 250Hz? Personally I don't like the sound of xo below 300Hz between low and mid driver, but of course it depends on the actual drivers and other stuffs too.

Choose xo points and steepness what your ears likes best. It's not that hard to experiment with DSP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.