Which driver as midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm looking for the best mid-woofer to operate between 200 Hz and 2 - 2,5 kHz in a sealed box.
My candidates are the SB-Acoustics MW16P-4, Scan-Speak Revelator 18W/4531G00 and 18W/4531G01.
Both the SB-Acoustics and Scan-Speak are extremely good though I'm doubting what's preferable. The 18W/4531G00 has just slightly better decay than the MW16P-4. Though the MW16P-4 has lower H3 and H5 distortion in the midrange. Which is preferable in the midrange? Better decay or lower H3 and H5 distortion.
Also, there were no measurments of the Scan-Speak G01 on the same website. Does anyone know how the G00 compares to the G01?

I don't agree with you on that. The 18W have better decay, lower distortion and have the right frequency response to be used as midrange. Their impuls response is a bit slower but still blisteringly-fast and anyway the have a much larger Sd which compensates because the cone doesn't have to move as much to move a given amount of air. Also, I think a bigger driver is always better because they are more linear and their bigger size gives body and weight to the sound.
Saying a driver is better at midrange because it was designed to be is kind of a weak argument. Currently I have the Satori MR16P-4 but after reconsideration I think the MW16P-4 is better because of it's far better decay, lower distortion and wider usability.

3wayaddict,

If you are going to put a driver in a box I would discount any minor differences in signal decay between the drivers you propose, as the enclosed volume of air in the midrange's enclosure is likely to add its own stored energy (in delay) to that of the your intended driver. I would settle for the driver that has the least odd order harmonic distortion over the intended pass band and then possibly the one most linear.

C.M

I don't agree with you on that. The 18W have better decay, lower distortion and have the right frequency response to be used as midrange. Their impuls response is a bit slower but still blisteringly-fast and anyway the have a much larger Sd which compensates because the cone doesn't have to move as much to move a given amount of air. Also, I think a bigger driver is always better because they are more linear and their bigger size gives body and weight to the sound.
Saying a driver is better at midrange because it was designed to be is kind of a weak argument. Currently I have the Satori MR16P-4 but after reconsideration I think the MW16P-4 is better because of it's far better decay, lower distortion and wider usability.

It seems that you already have the answer - people are giving you good advice however you seem to be more knowledgeable and are dismissing their view.

I very much doubt you'll be able to either measure or hear the difference between the 2, as they are both excellent drivers in any case. Your xover and cabinet will most likely make a bigger difference.

Maybe you just want people to agree with your point of view for reassurance and say that the Scan is better than the SB?? They have both been used in very high end speakers so I wouldn't worry or get too hung up about detailed techy mumbo jumbo.

Have you considered the 18M over the 18W?

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide

3wayaddict

Can you measure the frequency curves of the drivers built into the box?
As if I read somewhere that you were just putting 1st order filters in front of the drivers and done (correct me if i am wrong). This solution rarely produces good results, no wonder you are not satisfied with the sound.

Properly measuring the drivers are the first step to good sound and not choosing the theoretically "best" drivers.

So?

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm looking for the best mid-woofer to operate between 200 Hz and 2 - 2,5 kHz in a sealed box.
My candidates are the SB-Acoustics MW16P-4, Scan-Speak Revelator 18W/4531G00 and 18W/4531G01.
Both the SB-Acoustics and Scan-Speak are extremely good though I'm doubting what's preferable. The 18W/4531G00 has just slightly better decay than the MW16P-4. Though the MW16P-4 has lower H3 and H5 distortion in the midrange. Which is preferable in the midrange? Better decay or lower H3 and H5 distortion.
Also, there were no measurments of the Scan-Speak G01 on the same website. Does anyone know how the G00 compares to the G01?

Here you have!

www.audioexcite.com >> ScanSpeak 18W4531-G01
www.audioexcite.com >> ScanSpeak 18W4531-G00
www.audioexcite.com >> Blog Archive >> ScanSpeak 18W/4531 Measurements!

Rgds

/Göran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.