SB Acoustics Textreme

I have the same pair of drivers, and I am quite satisfied with them.

If you decide to do a 3-way, you do not need a midrange, the MW16TX has excellent midrange qualities. The TW29TX can be crossed fairly low, in my case 1600 hz.

What you need is a good woofer. A 10, or a 12, or a pair of 8's...

jim
Oh I missed that, was thrown by the spec sheet * IEC 268-6, high-pass Butterworth, 2600 Hz, 12 dB/oct. footnote. Didn't realize TW29TXN-B-8 can be crossed at 1600Hz

I'd like to do a ≥ 90dB easy 8Ω load 2-way, how feasible would it be to use a TW29TXN-B-8 crossed low ~ 1.6K to the 7.5" MW19TX-8?

^ I should add to the above, @Joseph Crow Audio makes a beautiful waveguide for the TW29BN-B-8 Beryllium tweeter which (I'm paraphrasing) yields a 2kHz Low-Frequency Cutoff (Fc) allowing for 1.5kHz crossover point by reducing distortion at the crossover region.

I do not know how different the stock TW29BNWG-8 Beryllium Dome Tweeter with Waveguide will be from Joseph Crow Audio's waveguide achieved 2kHz Fc & 1.5kHz x-over option? I'd guess his waveguide performance wise would be the superior option.

Last edited:
I have the same pair of drivers, and I am quite satisfied with them.

If you decide to do a 3-way, you do not need a midrange, the MW16TX has excellent midrange qualities. The TW29TX can be crossed fairly low, in my case 1600 hz.

What you need is a good woofer. A 10, or a 12, or a pair of 8's...

jim

Now that I have had these drivers for a couple weeks and have been doing a bit of testing and auditioning I have to agree with you. The MW16TX has great midrange characteristics but lacks a bit down low so I think it will be doing midrange duties and I will be looking for a couple 8's for woofer duty. Now I just need to find the right speakers to pair these with. I'm considering 8" Silverflutes. I have used their 6 1/2" & their 5" woofers with good results plus they are pretty inexpensive especially when compared to the Satori's. I think they will pair good I just need to run some sims on them and see if they play nice together. I'm open for suggestions too.

For that net volumes you will get the lowest possible F3 extension but I am afraid they will not sound good. I would suggest ~40l for RS225 and 60l for SB23NRX. 22W discovery models well also in 50-60l cabinet.
I need them to "only" fill in between my midrange and subwoofers - in the range of around 80 - 500hz, and in closed boxes. The system is fully active. But you suggest 40 liters pr. RS225?

I have seen rs225 to be used in volumes around 40l BR. Just quick check in vituix confirmed both 4ohm and 8ohm versions model well in 40liters. I like gradual rolloff, not sharp knee and this usually requires smaller volumes, leading to higher f3 compared to larger volume. For sealed lower volume will be needed.

Last edited:
I did not notice you want to use two per cabinet. 2per cabinet, closed, model well in 50-70l volume for Qtc ~0.6.
Thank you :) No matter how expensive or good a driver is, it'll never be better than how it's used.
If I keep my 2 SB23NRX.... a Q of 0,6 would require 140 liters.... quite a box :D
Not even sure that a set of 7,5" Textreme would make any better mid-woofer-duty :confused: Seems like most of what they are good at, is midrange performance. And the only high-end drivers is again a paper Satori 9,5" - which might be a sweet choice compared to a pair of 8" - since I could live with the slightly lover SPL.
Alu cones, could maybe help with keeping the coil cool...

Last edited:
LoDrac

Hi Folks !

I've ended the first version of my speaker.
Second step will consist in designing and adding a port to transform in a BR !

LIa73yS.jpg

Satori MW16TX-4 on-axis frequency response is amazing (It's my first high end driver...)
psoFCVs.png

Natural roll-off and flat FRD allow easy filter with only one cap, aiming LR12@2khz.

I use a DSP so cone breack-up is easy fixed, but with passive XO, it could add additional cost.

Currently the box is sealed, so I've used a LT to reach 12db/oct F3@55hz and an high-pass LR24@25 to control additional excursion due to EQ boost.

Overall tonal balance is very good, flawless distortion of mediums is amazing and allow to hear a lot of micro-details, the differents layers of mixing etc ...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Thank you :) No matter how expensive or good a driver is, it'll never be better than how it's used.
If I keep my 2 SB23NRX.... a Q of 0,6 would require 140 liters.... quite a box :D
Not even sure that a set of 7,5" Textreme would make any better mid-woofer-duty :confused: Seems like most of what they are good at, is midrange performance. And the only high-end drivers is again a paper Satori 9,5" - which might be a sweet choice compared to a pair of 8" - since I could live with the slightly lover SPL.
Alu cones, could maybe help with keeping the coil cool...

I had two RS225-8 in 80L tuned to 27Hz gives an gentle bass roll off that approximates a sealed box, but gives lower extension (F3 33Hz, F10 22Hz)
(Statement II loudspeakers) and when I measured mine in a 6x9m room I had response all the down to 20Hz. For music I turned off my dual 15” subwoofers.

I’m considering a new build with RS225 in 1 cu ft each…

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
MW16TX tested in June 2021 of Voice Coil magazine.

Appears like new cone but same motor and suspension.

Compared to the MW16P test by same magazine years ago, no on-axis dip around 1.2Khz. Downside is that you have a 5khz peak to deal with now.

Large signals parameters not much better

Last edited: