Joined 2019
http://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/6½in-SATORI-MW16P-4.pdf

papyrus MW16

http://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/5in-SATORI-MW13P-4.pdf

papyrus MW13

http://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/5in-SATORI-MR13P-4.pdf

papyrus MR13

http://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/6½in-SATORI-MR16P-4.pdf

papyrus MR16 (this is the one I have, gray cone, 4 Ohm)

https://solen.ca/wp-content/uploads/mw13tx4.pdf

and finally the new MW13TX. I am showing all 4 Ohm versions. It's interesting to see the similarities, some subtle differences and some very OBVIOUS differences in comparing these. Compared to all the others, regardless of mid or mid-woofer, regardless of 13 cm or 16 cm; the MW13TX seems to have the smoothest FR in band anyway.

The magnificent seven from SB Acoustics! | HiFiCompass

sba_review_group_photo.jpg

The golden age of audio isn't the 70's its now. I get why the terminology is used the way it is, but anyone who claim that there has been no improvement for 40-50 years is either incredibly ignorant or has lived under a rock. Near transient perfect loudspeakers has never been as available as they are now and as cheap (relatively speaking) as they are now.
I know Yamaha introduced Beryllium in the 70's and that "since" nothing new has come along, true to an extent, but it doesn't show the whole picture. Even Be drivers have approved above and beyond what Yamaha offered.. so, the golden age is now and it is also moving and one better move along with it :)

Here is what I informed a guy who didn't know about TeXtreme.
Theoretically, TeXtreme® should bridge the gap between paper and aluminium, without losing the musicality of paper nor the elevated details of aluminium, with neithers disadvantages. One of aluminums disadvantages is the cone breakup which is sewer when it happens, aka critical. Almost all aluminium tweeters has a similar cone breakup at roughly 25kHz. This brings us back to Inter Modular Distortion. Because the cone is misbehaving badly between 20-30kHz, this will be noticeable. Al Midrange and woofers will also have these issues, unless treated for. SB Acoustics have their NAC/BNAC and CAC series which uses a set of elongated dimples in the cone and YG Acoustics have ribbons on the backside of their driver. This does aid in that the breakup will happen later or further up on frequency which is an advantage seen from the crossover point, which is then, earlier in relationship to this cone breakup, resulting in cleaner reproduction due to more suppressed IMD and THD within its useful range - another way to express that is: The farther away the cone breakup is from the XO point, the quieter the distortions are at the XO point.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
light, stiff, strong, self damping...what did I forget??? Getting any break up mode higher up in frequency is always a good thing. Having a very flat and smooth FR is obviously important but I maintain; a quick and precise transient response is just as important. And, for me, any driver that can do ALL of these things AND, can also work with 1st order passive crossovers ticks most of my boxes...

1st order on the MW13TX is maybe hoping too much unless you are doing like Duelund were the center frequency is at 1kHz then yes, but the Duelund is a 4th order filter which has the benefit of all drivers in phase with only one full 360 rotation between 20hz and 20kHz... which is the whole point of that filter.. so yeah ... LOL

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
On another note, my trusted NAD CD player died last week after 10 years of use. I really want a higher end SACD player (I have many classical and jazz hybrid CDs). The Arcam, Technics, etc. are out of the immediate price range for now but I did find a used Denon SACD player for about $100 US and FedEx should be making that delivery within the hour. I have a mini amp and mini speakers in use right now, giving them to my brother so my main system is not connected. If the SACD player is in proper working order (it was tested and has a guarantee); that will give me even more incentive to go for the MW13TX... I have a very decent turntable and cartridge; I also have some high quality FLAC music files so happy listening!

If the crossover is steep enough to mean a driver is not playing anything at the point of break up, I thought that was job done, and the breakup would have no effect on the driver sound?

Was I wrong?
No, you are not wrong. How much or little impact the issue has is ofc dependent upon how quiet it is in relationship to your nominal listening level.

Say that the driver has its cone breakup at 5kHz and your XO point is at 2.5kHz and you are using a LR4 filter with -24dB per octave slope, then ideally that the 5kHz should be down by 24dB at 5kHz. S, what does that mean ? Say you are listening at 80dB as your nominal listening level, then the cone breakup (beginning of it) should be no louder than 56dB. A dB change of 20dB is equal to 4 times less in volume loudness and 10 times less in terms of SPL. So, depending on how sewer the 5kHz cone breakup is will determine how noise (relatively speaking) it is. Going from 5kH to 10kHz, the slope should be -48dB which is more than 8 times lower in loudness.. Ofc, all of this is ideal, theoretical and so forth.

So its not a matter of IF the cone breakup, IMD and THD has an effect, it is by how much it affects the listener. Generally speaking, the lower the better. Another factor is at which frequency's. Say that we are analyzing 250Hz XO for a woofer that has cone breakup at i dunno, say 750Hz .. vs looking at a midrange driver reflected earlier in my reply. If we include the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness contours, we get a much more complex picture... and that is the point.

Audio or sound is complex. Like what if the crossover produce out of phase on all drivers, is that an issue or not ? for some it is for others its not. So while one can answer with a theoretical no to your question, in reality it is a biter more complex than that and as usual, you have to listen and experience what you preach or what you think is right.

Cool huh .. :)

Last edited: