SB Acoustics Textreme

How does it compare to Viawave ?

I've only heard the original Viawave in one design, and on 2 brief occasions. Being the AMT was a bit problematic to integrate well, and that it was an initial prototype, I cannot speculate on its performance without any 3rd party measurements at any rate.

Later,
Wolf

I am totally with you there regarding mids and woofers, but like I said, I don't see (currently) the advantage for a tweeter. Perhaps when the updated Fr response is published and proper evaluation can be done it will make more sense :)

The complainant people have with metal tweeters is that the distortion products, while beyond our hearing, will introduce IMD products back into the audio band. At least theoretically, the level that these would be at would be very low down in level. Still this is why stiffer domes are desired, so that breakup is pushed even higher and the distortion products would be pushed up too.

If the textreme gives pistonic operation up to 20kHz but doesn't present with any distortion products then there's the theoretical advantage.

Carbon fiber composites do not have high internal damping. Mixed fiber composites have significant more damping but also lower stiffness. The difference with Textron is that it is more like an unidirectional fiber crossed 90º and the stiffness/damping behavior is quite different from a standard weave. So the breakup pattern of these membranes is reflecting that.

I thought the epoxies used could greatly vary the damping in any way you want?

Still I would expect a carbon fibre cone to have much higher damping than a metal.

If the textreme gives pistonic operation up to 20kHz but doesn't present with any distortion products then there's the theoretical advantage.
IMD can be an issues yes, but that is where Be comes into the picture. Ofc, I am curious about the TX tweeter because if it is close in behavior to Be but at a significant price cut, then it will be a viable option, and non toxic :)

But wouldn't the weave with its crossed pattern qualify as having damping property's? Its one thing to talk about the material and how its used. Take a sandwich material, there, the individual materials used have their own unique property and because one combine multiple property's, the total sum (strength, stiffness etc.) is greater than when the materials are used as is or singular. So what I am saying is that while the material itself might not have enough desired properties, how it is used might. And I think there is foam support in place (unverified) that also will give the cone a higher structural integrity, but correct me if I am wrong :)

Using a core for a composite like foam (e.g.Rohacell), balsa wood or honeycomb allows to make stiffer and often much better damped membranes but I did not see that SB mentions any core so I assume it is just one layer of Textreme carbon, which is obviously lighter than an multilayer structure. Textreme has in contrast to standard weave almost no sections of fibers running perpendicular to the membrane and less strength in that direction but more in the orientation of the fibers as they run with little interruptions in these directions.

but I did not see that SB mentions any core so I assume it is just one layer of Textreme carbon.
You are right, I was comparing the TX to CRC (which dodes have Rohacell) and the TX does not have an added foam core... unless its very thin like in the picture bellow, but for the sake of simplicity, lets say it does not have it.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20190425104921_Photo1-TeXtremeDiaphragm.jpg

The complainant people have with metal tweeters is that the distortion products, while beyond our hearing, will introduce IMD products back into the audio band. At least theoretically, the level that these would be at would be very low down in level. Still this is why stiffer domes are desired, so that breakup is pushed even higher and the distortion products would be pushed up too.

I always hear this, but no one has ever shown this to be the case. Seems a simple thing to test with multitone measurements. I won't say I've never seen a subharmonic, but it's been pretty rare, low level, and discreet. My second objection is that considering how rare HD audio is, how would one even energize this breakup with the Redbook CD cutoff being lower than the breakup?

I always hear this, but no one has ever shown this to be the case.
Indeed. The size of the required non-linearity, the proportion that could be aliased into the audible range, the level of the ultrasonic signal in music,... all lead to it being too small to be audible. Which is of course why hard domes are widely used by the industry although on a flat baffle without waveguides I suspect one might make a case for the directivity of soft domes being preferable.

Now using a stiff material to make a larger dome rather than push the resonances unnecessarily higher would make more engineering sense. The manufacturers are presumably aware of this but it seems to be in conflict with the current marketing situation which enables the use of stiff cones in exotic materials with resonances on graphs well above those of cheap stiff materials to command a premium price and get bought in significant and profitable numbers.

Talking about break up modes, audible issues, IMD etc. (video link) Tidal vs Qobuz: Battle of High-Res Streaming Services- they analyze both services and find some interesting data and talk about the ability to hear high res audio. The only thing I can say about the difference between 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/192 is that content beyond 25kHz add clarity, soundstage and imaging. To some degree, dynamic range can have an affect. Its not noticeable on all tracks and albums, but there is an overwhelming benefit and enjoyment. I'd rather have a 24/96 or 24/192 high bitrate than not.

I am more into owning my albums rather than having to pay for a streaming service. While it has advantages as in being cheaper in the long run due to the share amount of albums you can "collect" per month compared to owning them, I prefer to be a bit more selective and store the albums locally. Either I like an album or I don't. That's why the free version of Spotify is great. I can listen to the album for free and make up my mind about it.

I always hear this, but no one has ever shown this to be the case. Seems a simple thing to test with multitone measurements. I won't say I've never seen a subharmonic, but it's been pretty rare, low level, and discreet. My second objection is that considering how rare HD audio is, how would one even energize this breakup with the Redbook CD cutoff being lower than the breakup?

I agree I don't see it as a problem. You don't need high frequencies to excite the issue just the frequencies that trigger the harmonics but the level of the IMD products produced is going to be below the threshold of audibility.

In theory it is a problem but in reality it's not. Unless the tweeters motor is very poorly designed. Still, from a purely academic point of view, I'd like the harmonics not to be there.

I agree I don't see it as a problem. You don't need high frequencies to excite the issue just the frequencies that trigger the harmonics but the level of the IMD products produced is going to be below the threshold of audibility.

In theory it is a problem but in reality it's not. Unless the tweeters motor is very poorly designed. Still, from a purely academic point of view, I'd like the harmonics not to be there.

Take a look at briskly's paper above. I'm not through it yet, but very interesting so far. We could use it to construct a test protocol and next time I take my measurement rig out I could do some experiments.

From the Beyma paper it looks like a much bigger problem in compression drivers. Careful design and use of Beryllium dome/polymer surround probably solves most of those particular issues. Doesn't change the fundamental flaws inherent in compression drivers at high power levels. Must be why they developed their version of the AMT shortly after.

I somewhat understand where Geddes is coming from when he says these are not issues in well designed home systems. Quality drivers of any type used below their limits are pretty well behaved. Just becomes a more complex task with higher spl.