Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SB Acoustics Textreme.
SB Acoustics Textreme.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2020, 04:01 PM   #641
hifijim is online now hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

But if he is not getting a lot of early reflections, dispersion pattern matters less, and on-axis response predominates. For instance, if he is listening fairly close to the speakers in a large room, or if he has substantial acoustical treatment on side walls, etc. I don't know what his situation is, but there is probably a reason why he likes this kind of setup.
Old 17th December 2020, 04:17 PM   #642
42476 is offline 42476
Account disabled at member's request

post 641...ding ding ding...good answer. It's like studio monitors; not near field, not far field but a very good compromise. A narrower sweet spot but extremely accurate on axis with very little noticeable unwanted "side" effects. Come on wide band TexTreme! My next dream come true!??

Anyone in Asia or Europe have input when the next TexTreme models are being released? Other than the TexTreme tweeter, MW16 and 19; that is all we know in N America unless I missed something in the last week or so...thanks!
Old 17th December 2020, 04:35 PM   #643
diyAudio Member

I recently listened to another DIY'er setup, he is also using Hypex fusion amps for active crossovers.

He has the Eton 3 inch driver. Eton 3-212/C8/25 HEX Bass-Midrange This one I believe.

I was impressed with the sound of this driver. You might consider it...
Old 17th December 2020, 04:52 PM   #644
42476 is offline 42476

I actually had considered that very driver. Do you know what the band pass settings are exactly? Freq. and slope? BW, BE, LR or custom???
Old 17th December 2020, 05:03 PM   #645
drjlo is offline drjlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijim View Post
He has the Eton 3 inch driver. Eton 3-212/C8/25 HEX Bass-Midrange
Interesting 3" driver. Where were the crossover points/slopes? The driver's FR does not seem all that smooth above 3.5kHz or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eton 3 212Symphony II 3.JPG (66.0 KB, 351 views)
Old 17th December 2020, 05:14 PM   #646
42476 is offline 42476

Current listen is Eddie Higgins jazz Trio Christmas songs on YouTube. Lo Fi? yep; does it still sound really good? Yep! The bowed acoustic bass harmonics are very rich and natural here in spite of Lo Fi streaming. Next on my list for a CD I think. I need a SACD player as I have many hybrid SACD discs. Mostly classical but also many jazz. I also have an outboard hard disc for my PC and have purchased many FLAC albums online; mostly classical and mostly from Europe (no surprise...hah!). I think I have what the Recording Engineers hear with my present system. VERY close for sure...highly accurate without any hype or artificial additions or deletions for "effect". Just looking for the next best thing which I am convinced is TexTreme fullrange/broad-band "mids". Fingers crossed...
Old 17th December 2020, 05:16 PM   #647
42476 is offline 42476

drjlo, have you heard it? Sometimes the FR and specs just don't tell the full story.
Old 17th December 2020, 06:44 PM   #648
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijim View Post
But if he is not getting a lot of early reflections, dispersion pattern matters less, and on-axis response predominates. For instance, if he is listening fairly close to the speakers in a large room, or if he has substantial acoustical treatment on side walls, etc. I don't know what his situation is, but there is probably a reason why he likes this kind of setup.
Indeed
I just wonder... cause alot of nearfield monitors are very keen to describe how smooth their power response are - like Kii, DXT-MON from Heissmann and even the old Behringer monitors. They are all designed with a good even dispersion in mind. Even very good treament of first reflections - would still not beat a well designed speaker. This is why I ask. Cause is the disliking of possible phase issues, worth the trouble with potential off-axis behaviour?
Old 17th December 2020, 08:59 PM   #649
42476 is offline 42476

I have very little off axis energy; very focused; very accurate. Not sure? but I think these are extremely musical; regardless of design followings or beliefs. To each his own I suppose...
Old 18th December 2020, 03:55 AM   #650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Interesting 3" driver. Where were the crossover points/slopes? The driver's FR does not seem all that smooth above 3.5kHz or so.
He crossed at about 330 Hz to a 10 inch driver, Seas L26ROY. He crossed at 2.7 kHz (I think?) to a bliesma T25B 25mm berylium dome.

We got together to compare the textreme drivers (MW16 and TW29) to the Eton Hex and Bliesma berylium. Both of us had prototype cabinets at this point, and we evaluated in mono.

Within the limits of the preliminary nature of the comparison, I thought both systems sounded good. really good. Whatever differences there were could easilly be attributed to small differences in EQ.

He follows this site, so perhaps he will share his thoughts...

J.

SB Acoustics Textreme.Hide this!Advertise here!