Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

SB Acoustics Textreme.
SB Acoustics Textreme.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2020, 05:08 PM   #631
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post

I'm curious if they will also have a horn loaded version of the TexTreme tweeter.
I think they should consider to offer a waveguided version for all their tweeters, there is a very strong trend for these and they should jump on the wagon now
Old 4th December 2020, 09:55 PM   #632
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlo View Post
Dang, $426/each! For the price of a pair, one could buy some very decent speakers these days.
"Price Check on isle 2"

SB26ADC-4 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter $51 {SB26STCN $33 is my choice}
SB17BAC35-4 6.2" Aluminum cone midbass sealed $71
SB23BAC45-8 8" Aluminum cone woofer can be sealed+equalized $110
SB23BAC45-8 8" Aluminum cone woofer can be sealed+equalized $110
GREAT TMWW 3-Way Total: $324 - $342
Old 4th December 2020, 10:03 PM   #633
42476 is offline 42476
Account disabled at member's request

yep, looks like a good thing; I would probably do two each smaller mids (13 or 15 size) and then a WMTMW config. I would like to do that in all TexTreme eventually as well. Probably not for me though; I have spent quite a bit on my current system. I did a WMTMW before with 8 in, 4 in and a ribbon tweet. One of the best sounding systems I ever did. I find it best to have the tweeter at approx. ear height; regardless of tweeter design. 1 meter is about right if I remember.
Old 5th December 2020, 07:53 AM   #634
AlexScan is offline AlexScan  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
I think they should consider to offer a waveguided version for all their tweeters, there is a very strong trend for these and they should jump on the wagon now
Yes the diameter and chassis of all Satori tweeter are the same, so the waveguide is compatible... I think the TW29DN with the WG was the best choice for the money.
Old 5th December 2020, 02:00 PM   #635
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

If they could not only create the WG but also gives the filter values (caps) to EQ it, I'm sure they will have sucess !

Altough It will make sense to keep low diameter casing with mini horn and also not as they already have (21rdnc, etc).... Folks want also narrow C2C designs possibility !

Typical 3W classic: but with closer center to center spacing due to the higher band pass window : around 500 hz to around 3K hz (1/2 wave length is around 6 cm)

SB21RDNC or smaller OW19 Peereless type tweeter (Seas also, etc) : 3/4" ; Morel have 1" horned tweeter with 74 mm diameter (Monsieur SB if you read me )

a 4" or 5" (SBTextrene for instance)

a 8" (or a6-7" SB Textrene break-up notched)

Last edited by diyiggy; 5th December 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 5th December 2020, 02:19 PM   #636
rhale64 is offline rhale64  United States
diyAudio Member

I think they are doing the 5" Textreme mid woofer. I am holding out for that in particular. It will be used in a three way with the tweeter, haven't decided yet, and two 8" Textreme Mid woofers.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:19 PM   #637
rinx is offline rinx  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Hi
I had chance to listen MW16TX in speaker mated with TW29BN. It was more than year ago, when I first listen Satori MW16P in same enclosure. We listened more than 4 hours and the owner is high level speaker crossover designer. Probably one of the best in here my country
We have same approach for what is good speaker. Same principles and what it have to be and what it can not be.
So new textreme - impression is very very good. Compared MW16P main difference for me was it can hold music tones longer and more wider. They sound so full or easy and beautiful. I have had very minimal experience in speakers. But here in that setup - there is nothing I am missing. So even I thought I will go for Kalasan project, definately I go over textreme. And probably also beryllium, tweeter. It is different from silk or ring domes. Beryllium just is capable doing things that silk doe snot. Fe. chrystal clear sound.
...aaaand shivers
Old 16th December 2020, 05:07 PM   #638
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

So the price should show it vs Satoris paper drivers. I mean there is no free monney. The better the more expensive.
Old 16th December 2020, 08:18 PM   #639
42476 is offline 42476
Account disabled at member's request

rinx, what is the crossover frequency and slope on this set up? If you don't know; that's OK. I like to cross higher than most folks; I don't care very much about beaming. I am more concerned with an extremely accurate reproduction of things like piano and violin overtones, harmonics, etc. What many people I think ignore; when you stick a crossover right in the most critical band; you introduce phase differences regardless of how well the crossover is designed. I think this smears the image and destroys the integrity of the signal. I'm talking about the finest nuance here. This is one of the exact reasons I am waiting so anxiously for the MR13TX mid; I want to use it from about 300 to 6000 Hz and avoid any typical crossover in the 1000 to 4000 Hz range. MANY people disagree with me on this but there is a reason for such a strong following in full range drivers; they avoid the need for any critical mid band crossover.

I also think the ideal size for this mid band is 3 1/2 to 5 1/4 inch with my strongest preference 4 to 4 1/2 inches. All else being equal, this cone size seems to be the least compromise. Mid bass can go low enough and high mids/low treble are extended enough to stay out of the problem zone...
Old 17th December 2020, 03:32 PM   #640
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
What many people I think ignore; when you stick a crossover right in the most critical band; you introduce phase differences regardless of how well the crossover is designed. I think this smears the image and destroys the integrity of the signal. I'm talking about the finest nuance here. This is one of the exact reasons I am waiting so anxiously for the MR13TX mid; I want to use it from about 300 to 6000 Hz and avoid any typical crossover in the 1000 to 4000 Hz range. MANY people disagree with me on this but there is a reason for such a strong following in full range drivers; they avoid the need for any critical mid band crossover.

So..... what do you do with beaming? I mean - if you cross that high, then you'll end up having interesting issues with a narrow pattern from the midrange and then a more omni radiation from the tweeter. I believe that a more smooth integration between the midrange and the tweeter, is more important than most phase issues - not time alignment - cause that of course needs to be in place for the filter to work.

SB Acoustics Textreme.Hide this!Advertise here!