budget vs expensive tweeters

Without the geometry, form of the tweeter in ambient and without the necessary filter, it's difficult to judge from those numbers. I see some magnificient tweeters ( there's a thread nowadays with a 300$ Morel ) so the area for improvement is lightness of membrane, voice coil, I see that +-1mm excursion is possible, as a,low ( 6-800 Hz) resonant frequency too. Plus you put the CAD studied motor assembly and the low-friction assembly
and voilà, high-end tweeter. On the other side, plastic shells and high Fs tweeters.

The SB Acoustics 26adc/cdc and 29rdc seem to get high praise on here for providing high quality for the price also seem to be fairly easy to work with. However as already said it is all in the execution and what you are pairing them with and how low the crossover and what order crossover.

For example the NAO Note II RS open baffle uses a £17 tweeter but it is crossed over 4th order at 6khz iirc so working well with it’s means.

Last edited:
I am associating with 6 1/2inch mid driver either on of Peerless HDS 830833 , 830875 midbass or discovery scanspeak 18W/8434G00-8 or 18W/4424G00. Haven't chosen yet.
Assuming all of what you mentioned is accomplished:
"You still have to make a solid box with rounded edges, and you need a router to do a flush mount. Perfect phase alignment at crossover frequencies and tons of power to digest. Why would you choose for a poor tweeter"
Can anyone name some budget tweeters which are very highly appraised as regards sound quality as I am particularly sensible to real sounding cymbals, hyats and lifelike sound of acoustic guitar being myself a guitarist

Last edited:
You still have to make a solid box with rounded edges, and you need a router to do a flush mount. Perfect phase alignement at crossover frequencies and tons of power to digest. Why would you choose for a poor tweeter:confused::rolleyes::p

Reading the OP, he doesn't want to choose a poor tweeter, he wants to choose an inexpensive tweeter, hence the question as to whether there are some that are inexpensive but also good. But everything's relative - what's the definition of "inexpensive", are you looking for something for £20 or £200? And what other drivers will it need to be working with?

Last edited:
I am associating with 6 1/2inch mid driver either on of Peerless HDS 830833 , 830875 midbass or discovery scanspeak 18W/8434G00-8 or 18W/4424G00. Haven't chosen yet.
"You still have to make a solid box with rounded edges, and you need a router to do a flush mount. Perfect phase alignment at crossover frequencies and tons of power to digest. Why would you choose for a poor tweeter" I was joking!
Can anyone name some budget tweeters which are very highly appraised as regards sound quality as I am particularly sensible to real sounding cymbals, hyats and lifelike sound of acoustic guitar being myself a guitarist
Since I prefer 3 way speakers, they give more freedom in design and I rely on the midrange driver which is difficult to find. Aurasound Whisper 2" is quite good, associated with a Dayton Mini-8. A small faceplate is a must with little drivers and 3 ways. I have another design with a nameless midrange and a little Sica, this >Altoparlanti LP 38x50.18/N5 TW
which has ferrofluid.
See that those play at frequencies > 5 kHz

I have good experience with Visaton G20SC tweeter.

It doesnt have a particularly low Fs, but is a good performer, IMO.

I think it may be just one side or the other of your budget. Some SB tweeters may have some performance or value advantages, being more modern drivers.

On the other hand,

I saw these the other day

Monacor RBT-56 Magnetostatic Ribbon Tweeter
£22.05
€24.95

But possibly this isnt useful for a 2 way?

There are several Monacor tweeters, which may fit your budget and look worth consideration (but I have no personal experience with them)

Last edited:
I did a 2 way with the Peerless 830883 (documented here on diyaudio), paired with a Seas 27TBFC/G, which will fit into your definition of budget tweeter. I could also have built the speakers with the TDFC, but found a deal on the metal tweeters. Both are right enough tweeter that can be paired successfully (i.e. crossed low enough) to a 6.5" mid-woofer, and the build quality is good.
Beware of low cost tweeters where the performance is at the expense of consistency.

Ralf

The ScanSpeak D2608/913000 (Peerless 810921) springs to mind.

Highly recommended by HiFi Compass and Zaph but probably a little bit over budget.
Low moving mass and decent Fs.

Closer to your budget the ScanSpeak R2604/833000, twin magnet version of the already mentioned R2604/832000 with higher efficiency and lower distortion for only a few € more.

"You still have to make a solid box with rounded edges, and you need a router to do a flush mount. Perfect phase alignment at crossover frequencies and tons of power to digest. Why would you choose for a poor tweeter"

With Scanspeak discovery you should have very good speakers for a good price.
If you don't have tools to design the loudspeakers go to a kit, perhaps you want to learn design loudspeakers.
See Troëls designs :
18W-8434G00
Other design :
Prima - JustDIYIt !

It is a suggestion. I think like others have suggested, SB acoustics has made very good drivers for a very good price.

For good tweeters, the Seas 27TBFC/G is a serious candidate ;)