Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

budget vs expensive tweeters
budget vs expensive tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2019, 02:37 PM   #21
fjadouce100 is offline fjadouce100  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Galu and Mondogenerator: Indeed the monacor tws are good value for money . Have you personally used any of them ?
Old 11th October 2019, 03:23 PM   #22
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I have personally used the DT-75 as a replacement in an 80s speaker.

The choice of that particular tweeter was necessary because its small faceplate dimensions suited the limited space available for fitting.

I was not, however, disappointed with its sound!
Old 11th October 2019, 04:08 PM   #23
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

I have no listening experience of Monacor tweeters, but I have often nearly bought one.

The RBT 95 magnetostat looks interesting, and I've been toying with buying for a long time.

This looks reasonably priced and could be something similar to Audax TW025F1 which have a certain appeal to my ears:

DT-28N

Not a LOW Fs though, if that's a deal breaker.

And this one has some positive comments about its use in Cheap Trick, a budget kit/design, so may be worth a look (I prefer the 1st suggestion by graphs alone)

DTM-104/8

This ones my personally favourite:

It essentially by the looks of it, a identical copy of Fountek Neo CD3.5H (which I'm using with the Monacor mids at the moment) so I may be slightly biased.

RBT-35SR

Some of their cone tweeters look useful for a retro style build or restoration type build.

I've bought Visaton high end drivers for my main system, largely due to what was available easily, and for a reasonable budget (seas, SS, Volt and others are just out of my price bracket)

I recently bought Monacor MSH 115 midrange for a 3 way idea I have, and I was not disappointed in sound or build quality. These were 35 each. They sing, and will make really nice midranges, with the Fountek Ribbons I'm planning to use with then.
They are a stamped/pressed steel frame but not as ugly as most.

I've bought very cheap driver from both Monacor and Visaton, and in both cases the quality isn't so good, but in these cases, the drivers were 15 each at the most. (Monacor SP40 and Visaton FRS5X) Even then, they weren't bad speakers, just cheap.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:14 AM   #24
peterbrorsson is offline peterbrorsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Wavecor have good ones also

Wavecor TW022WA02 22 mm dome tweeter with fabric dome. - Audiostatus

This small one could be crossed around 1.6kHz according to measurements in HobbyHifi and would probably do well in a waveguide crossed slightly lower
Old 12th October 2019, 07:50 PM   #25
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

I used the WA06, and HD sweeps say 2.5k is about the lowest you should take it. There are maybe 3 22mm tweeters that will perform as you are suggesting.

Later,
Wolf
Old 12th October 2019, 10:35 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
I used the WA06, and HD sweeps say 2.5k is about the lowest you should take it. There are maybe 3 22mm tweeters that will perform as you are suggesting.

Later,
Wolf
Indeed, it was the WA06 I was referring to. According to measurements of HobbyHifi, x-over at 1.5kHz yields under 0.3% second order distortion at 90db/1m. Third order is under 0.1%, all figures from 1-3kHz.
Add a wave guide and it will be less...
Old 13th October 2019, 12:31 AM   #27
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Within their limits, I think there are some interesting tweets.

The Scanspeak R2604 $65 US has a cheaper sibling in the Peerless line the XT25TG - If you don't mind (or you need) a narrow listening angle, really really nice.

These tweets have appeared in some VERY expensive commercial speakers, and rightfully so.
Old 13th October 2019, 01:41 AM   #28
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrorsson View Post
Indeed, it was the WA06 I was referring to. According to measurements of HobbyHifi, x-over at 1.5kHz yields under 0.3% second order distortion at 90db/1m. Third order is under 0.1%, all figures from 1-3kHz.
Add a wave guide and it will be less...
95dB at 1 meter, with a 70uF cap attached, in the cabs I used them in is attached here. The thing is, you are supposed to measure with little xover influence from driver to driver, or there is no comparison. I only attached the 70uF cap to protect it, and that filters well below the applicable passband. What I see is -40dB on 2nd order sets in about 2.5kHz, because 55dB is -40dB from reference, and the -40dB point is the same as 1% HD. Of course with the proper xover, the HD will be lower, hence using a xover above 2.5kHz if at all possible. 22mm tweeters do not have much Xmax, and this 22mm dome already has a waveguide to help it get where it can. The numbers you suggest do not jive with my personal measurements.

Best regards,
Wolf
Attached Images
File Type: png WavecorW22-2_HD70uF_TAxis.png (54.4 KB, 472 views)
Old 13th October 2019, 08:56 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_teeth View Post
95dB at 1 meter, with a 70uF cap attached, in the cabs I used them in is attached here. The thing is, you are supposed to measure with little xover influence from driver to driver, or there is no comparison.

22mm tweeters do not have much Xmax, and this 22mm dome already has a waveguide to help it get where it can.

Best regards,
Wolf
Yes, if you want to compare drivers. However, I still think it's useless when implementation tells a different story.

With all due respect, regarding measurements, I rather trust a publication like HobbyHifi than random measurements on the net.

Do you call that a waveguide, hmm...?

Btw, what are the dimensions of the baffle you have on that measurement, response look way to flat?

Cheers
Old 13th October 2019, 09:58 AM   #30
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

His measurements look absolutely fine and exactly what you'd expect for the tweeter under measurement.

With tweeters like this it's always a trade off. Heck the same is true of the wide surround scan speak drivers too at price = ridiculous. That is, generally, high second order distortion Vs narrower surround designs. They usually have very low distortion in other areas though, as is shown here.

The motors are linear down fairly low as is shown by the low higher order products but the wide surround seems to introduce nonlinearities due to its geometry. You don't usually hear 2nd order distortion until it's at much higher amounts than the tweeter above though so it can be argued that is largely irrelevant. That tweeter would be absolutely fine down to 2kHz with a 4th order acoustic slope. Then take it higher or lower depending on how loud you want it to play.

Personally I'd go with a SB26ADC/CDC. Or the DXT tweeter from SEAS. As none wave guide tweeters go the XT25s poorer high frequency dispersion sounds better to my ears do to lower amounts of early reflections in room. If it'd cross low enough and I wanted to use a naked done, I'd go with that.

budget vs expensive tweetersHide this!Advertise here!