budget vs expensive tweeters

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi,

The first when seen on a driver is the one having the best impulse response if it was measured after

I think a very accurate impulse response says a GREAT deal actually. Tweeters, mids, full range, even woofers are much more accurate if they can precisely follow the input wave form. If a driver has a less than ideal flat frequency response; that is usually easily handled with careful crossover design and implementation. You can't make a driver have a better transient response or impulse behavior though; that is inherent and I consider a very important mechanical or physical limitation that a resistor or capacitor or inductor just simply can NOT "FIX"...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
... does it mean for a BR the cabinet should be tunned in the flatter post area of the driver Fs where the impedance curve beginns to be flat ? If you tune the BR on the driverFs or below this is worse for impulse response, but if yo tune the cabinet far enough above the driver Fs, you have it good ? One should talk more about slope order behind the XO and think wha's the -F6, -F10 acording size's room?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Dickason and others discuss which vented (bass reflex) alignments have the best transient behavior. Some people don't like vented at all; if it is done right; they are actually quite good. I will read over that section again; I have his LDC 7th edition; I think this is the latest. Some people have never heard a properly designed and implemented BR so they think bloated or boomy or mushy or muddy, bass...NOT true; like everything else; choose your compromises.

SEAS Prestige 22TAF/G (H1283) Alum/Magn. Alloy 22 mm Dome Tweeter

Here are some reviews from the Madisound site in the USA.

This SEAS Prestige 22TAF/G (H1283) is "PROBABLY" the best sounding inexpensive tweeter that is available almost every place.

http://www.madisound.com/loudspeaker_specifications/h1283_22taf_g_datasheet.pdf

There are others of course but this one is loved by almost everyone that has ever heard it.

Looking through this thread I think the reply and the post I quoted was in relation to Seas 22TAF/G H1283-06 that was mentioned before it. And that is the tweeter I would like to buy. Prices have dramatically increased though since the last one I bought.

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/seas-22taf-g-h1283-tweeter-prestige-series.html

Last time I bought one it was a cheap tweeter £29.90 in Sep 2020. Now £45.12 it's a significant increase.

-this one in particular (especially if you soak-up most of its ferrofluid). Very good lower freq. result over a wider dynamic range.

Within its very low price range for a standard wide-bandwidth (lower freq. high-pass filter) it’s kind of unbeatable. (..it’s also built well - and has a premium look and feel that suggests something that costs way more than $20.)

If I want to spend more for improved lower-level detail (at higher frequencies only) while having similar bandwidth (though still not as low as the Q1R), then I will be spending more than double as much money as the Q1R.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user