Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

How important is box size
How important is box size
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2019, 01:53 AM   #11
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sealed boxes are very forgiving and it is actually quite hard to make them too big within reason.
What are you intending to use for the top octaves and where are you thinking of crossing over to the top?
Locally chipboard may be cheaper than MDF
Old 10th October 2019, 02:12 AM   #12
dannykennedy is offline dannykennedy  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wanted to try a horn p.audio PHT-404 was what I had in mind.
I've never owned horn speakers and was curious to how they sounded to me long term.
If I don't like the sound, I can always rebuild them.
I was going to cross them around 1400-1500.
Going by the manufactures graphs, I could be pushing it without a midrange but that's the whole fun of this project.
My simulations don't look too bad to me but sims and real life are two different things aren't they.

As for timber, I'll probably just do what I always do for building things. Go to Bunnings and find what ever is cheapest that I can fit in the van. Or use scrounged scrap. No big deal for prototypes. I'll take more care in the final product.
Old 10th October 2019, 04:09 AM   #13
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you seen and read this?
Mystery 1 PA - July 2013 - Loudspeakermagazine 2013 | Loudspeakerbuilding
Seems like a good fun & cheap party project
I think I might have a pair of the 10" somewhere in the shed, something similar anyway
Old 10th October 2019, 08:52 AM   #14
SaSi is offline SaSi  Greece
diyAudio Member

185lt internal enclosure is pretty big. At this size, the box will need plenty of internal bracing so as not to produce secondary emissions that are detrimental to sound quality.
If you are going sealed, it's better to start with half that size and as suggested, compensate for part of the bump before the roll off with a suitable capacitor.
A large sealed enclosure lowers the Q of the system. A low Q is supposedly better for transient response but listening tests supposedly showed that a low Q system sounds dead and dry in the low frequency.
The legendary BBC LS3/5a were designed for a Q of about 1.1-1.2, generating a bass bump to compensate for their lack of bass (due to size) in small spaces and nearfield listening. So these two additional parameters (size of room and location of speakers) influence the design goals.

For a ported speaker, the effect of the box size to tuning (in unison with the port) is a bit more delicate and needs care to make it right. And the port itself introduces considerations on placement, diameter (the smaller diameters generate higher velocities, puffing sounds and influence the correction factor for calculating the port length and tuning frequency). And the ported enclosure, having no load to the woofer below the tuning frequency, really needs a roll off to be introduced (a capacitor again) to protect the woofer from large excursions in very low frequencies. Especially if you are listening to vinyl.

How important is box sizeHide this!Advertise here!