Any ideas for a good replacement 25mm dome tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Measure the rear diameter of the tweeter as visible in your rear view photograph. This will be easier done by measuring the diameter of the internal cut out in the baffle board once the tweeter has been removed.

When the tweeter is out, take a photo of the front and side view of the tweeter to reveal how it is constructed.

Also measure the diameter of the outer opening left in the enclosure after removing the tweeter.

P.S. I've added some images of the K3 for future reference.

Attachments

• Epos K3.jpg
    Epos K3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Epos K3 Tweeter.jpg
    Epos K3 Tweeter.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 103
Measure the rear diameter of the tweeter as visible in your rear view photograph. This will be easier done by measuring the diameter of the internal cut out in the baffle board once the tweeter has been removed.

When the tweeter is out, take a photo of the front and side view of the tweeter to reveal how it is constructed.

Also measure the diameter of the outer opening left in the enclosure after removing the tweeter.

P.S. I've added some images of the K3 for future reference.

Attachments

• F1286828-AF38-426B-9B36-C9942605518E.jpg
    F1286828-AF38-426B-9B36-C9942605518E.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 87
  • EEA656B4-815A-4D02-A9D8-BF3342302F96.jpg
    EEA656B4-815A-4D02-A9D8-BF3342302F96.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 79775B5F-70A8-4FFF-AE42-68706EA3CA10.jpg
    79775B5F-70A8-4FFF-AE42-68706EA3CA10.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 93
The Morel Classic CAT408 soft dome tweeter requires a cut out diameter of 4.4cm so would slot into your enclosure from the front, where it would need to be secured by three screws.

IMPORTANT: The faceplate diameter is 7.2cm so you would first have to make sure there is sufficient space to accommodate the faceplate on the front of the enclosure.

https://www.morelhifi.com/product/cat-408/

The tweeter is available from Wilmslow Audio as well as other suppliers.

Morel Classic CAT408

Wilmslow can also supply large hex head screws.

Self-tapping Screws Socket Hex Head

DISCLAIMER: Think very carefully before parting with your cash as I cannot guarantee that you will be happy with the performance of these replacements.
If it were me, I would contact Epos for the custom replacements! ;)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION for future reference:

The loudness of the tweeter is determined by the series 1.5 ohm 5W resistor and you may decrease or increase its ohmage (or even remove it entirely) to suit the replacement tweeter.

The crossover frequency is determined by the 3.3uF capacitor which may be decreased to 2.2uF if you wish to experiment with the result.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to solder that heavy solid core cable to the tweeters. Epos used 18 gauge stranded copper wire and, since tweeter connections are easily damaged by overheating while soldering, I highly recommend you attach it with push on connectors rather than soldering directly to the tweeter terminals.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.