Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Tweeter for Sonus Faber Electa
Tweeter for Sonus Faber Electa
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2019, 10:29 AM   #1
68Spider is offline 68Spider  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter for Sonus Faber Electa

Sad day - one of the tweeters in my venerable Sonus Faber Electas has just died. It is identified on the back as "tw.28.SF" MADE IN DANMARK. Odd misspelling of Denmark, possibly a rebadged Dynaudio D-28? I'm guessing that original units are unlikely to be available, anyone know of a viable replacement?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191007_102437.jpg (429.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191007_102416.jpg (986.7 KB, 208 views)
Old 7th October 2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The DANMARK is easy to explain: Etymology of Denmark - Wikipedia

However, the tweeter is more problematical! It appears to be rare, and expensive if found on the second hand market.

I'm afraid I have not managed to find the tweeter's specifications in order to suggest a replacement.

Which specific model of the Electa do you have, including year of production?
Old 7th October 2019, 11:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

P.S. Have you tested the tweeter to see if it is, in fact, dead and it is not a fault with the internal wiring?

I may be teaching my grannie to suck eggs, but a simple way of doing this would be to swap the tweeters between the cabinets.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:36 AM   #4
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Yes, a wise suggestion to first be confident it's the unit itself that is defective. Otherwise this Dynaudio look-alike tweeter should be reasonably close relative to Morel units, such as CAT 308, or Scan Speak D2905-930000; D2905-950000. I am not saying these are exact replacements, rather likely to perform well without major modifications needed, so I figure. Personally I don't do anything without consulting measurements.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

As you can see from the pictures, I have the unit out of the cabinet, and I have tested it with a meter - unfortunately it is open circuit. Since there is nothing to loose I may try some investigative surgery.

It was a while ago when I bought them, but I think my Electas would be late 1980s or maybe very early 1990s - serial number 1087A/B. They are the original type, not the later Amators. I have contacted the UK distributer to see if there is any chance of spare parts - not holding my breath.

Last edited by 68Spider; 7th October 2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 7th October 2019, 12:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Try contacting Dynaudio as well, might be more affordable than through SF. While investigating faults, see if you can get a dc reading from the wire visible just next to the dome or somewhere near. Lightly scraping the enamel off would be necessary. I had once repaired a SS midrange cone like that, broken connection being right at the point of voice coil wire meeting flexible braid. These older SF production loudspeakers are a treasure aesthetically and I would get these repaired one way or the other.

Can you spare a couple of photos of this speaker, perhaps a crossover board too? I am curious. Thank you!

Last edited by Lojzek; 7th October 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 7th October 2019, 12:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If it's of any help, the specifications of the Dynaudio D-28 are available in the Dynaudio archive site: Dynaudio archive
Old 7th October 2019, 01:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks @Lojzek - Something like the Scan Speak units look like a likely replacement, although they are slightly undersized at 104mm, compared to the Sonus Faber's 110mm. I'm sure I can be creative to make that work.

But will I be happy with that compromise? They will not be the same speaker, and it is not a cheap experiment to try. I may well end up buying new speakers instead, and have wasted a couple of hundred quid.
Old 7th October 2019, 01:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

@Galu - Great! That's just the information I've been trying to find. The current Dynaudio website is very "corporate", and it was almost impossible to contact them for historic information. From that archive site, the D-28 AF, with 4 inner screw fixings, and three outer ones looks like a dead ringer for my SF unit. Getting closer...
Old 7th October 2019, 01:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The safest bet is to send the drive units to Dynaudio factory and have them replace the voice coil assemblies. It is their unit, so they would know how to repair. They used to do that service for DIYers. Morel offers separate assemblies to repair their units, costing from 17-21 gbp at wilmslow audio. I wonder if it would somehow be doable to fit the Morel spare voice coil to a Dynaudio unit. I'd risk buying one to test, were it me.

Tweeter for Sonus Faber ElectaHide this!Advertise here!