EMIT Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been given a pair of Infinity Kappa 6 speakers which are in a state of disrepair. The surrounds on both woofers are gone. One of the mid domes is broken, most likely beyond repair.

The EMIT tweeters look to be ok. Are they worth rescuing and re-using? I've never heard one in use so I'm somewhat curious about them.

I've been given a pair of Infinity Kappa 6 speakers which are in a state of disrepair. The surrounds on both woofers are gone.

The EMIT tweeters look to be ok.

Good sounding woofers - a nice foam rubber surround would be a good replacement. (..Poly Graphite is perhaps my favorite for the lower midrange/upper bass.) If you can't source foam rubber then rubber alone - but you'll take a greater "hit" in efficiency.

EMIT tweeters can sound very "airy" and help create a wide soundstage - more so than AMT drivers. Of course other Planar's of a similar design can do the same (..HiVi.) The problem is non-linear distortion: think >6 kHz. :eek:

Last edited:
Photo of the damage:-

Attachments

• D72_6626_DxO 1024.jpg
    D72_6626_DxO 1024.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 288
It's the lighting - both tweeters are the same.

Just had them connected - eek. Tweeters actually sound pretty good.

Yeah, a good "air" tweeter.

:cool: -that they are both in the same condition! :)

(..and hopefully it's that way with the woofers.)

-consider Neo8S for the midrange. If you can't take the vertical limitation of that then consider this:
ScanSpeak D3806/820000 | HiFiCompass

..the combo with an appropriate high (5-7 kHz) crossover could make for the top-end of a reference loudspeaker.

Last edited:
I've given them a try - see image below.

I've only had brief listening tests, but, impressions are of an extremely clear sound with none of the edge, fizz, or other artefacts you get with domes. Just good, clean, smooth treble. The clarity of things like triangles is impressive - very strong but without clouting your ears. I think I'm going to like them!

XO is (electrical) 2nd order low pass on the EM1308 and 3rd order high pass on the EMIT. XO freq 4.2kHz. Integration is as good as it gets. A very easy driver to work with; much easier than I expected.

All I need to do now is sit back and listen to some music :)

Attachments

• D72_6628_DxO 1024.jpg
    D72_6628_DxO 1024.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 194
After a good listen it's clear they aren't perfect.

On vocals there is a fair amount of distortion. They also lack dynamics and sound a bit flat. Brass doesn't have the bite and rasp it should.

Sadly these negatives outweigh the positives and I'll be switching back to my equally ancient (but dynamic and exciting) MDT30's asap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.