Crossover for 2 way with 4 woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Hello folks. This is my first post of diyaudio, about what should be my first pair of speakers. I'm trying to make a 2 way, with one tweeter and 4 woofers. My only idea is to run them all in parallel, but wouldn't that lower the impedance to unsafe levels?

Yes, instead connect them in series-parallel, wired like a figure 8.
Then the total impedance seen by the amp is the same as that of a single woofer.
The woofer positive terminals all go towards the positive amp terminal.
Similar to this: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/uploads/articles/series-parallel-combination-circuits.jpg

Last edited:
In this configuration, would I just go ahead with a normal 2 way crossover?
Yes, simply treat the series/parallel woofer combination as a single woofer.

The attachment shows the simplest possible arrangement, but you'll be wanting a more sophisticated crossover.

P.S. Disregard the 'Out' connection, this only applies to a PA cabinet!

Attachments

• adding a tweeter.png
    adding a tweeter.png
    4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Hi Rayma!
Your wiring is parallel/series while mine is series/parallel.
Is there really a difference soundwise?

Yes, think about the Thevenin source impedance that each 8R woofer sees with a low Zo amp.
Without the jumper, each woofer sees 8R. With the jumper, each woofer sees 8/3 R.
It makes a difference (an improvement) in the sound. This also works for multiple FR or tweeters.

Last edited:
What is the nature of the improvement?
All the major speaker manufacturers I can locate on the web recommend the series/parallel arrangement

That's because it's easier to do the wiring in production. Try it, the sound is better with the jumper,
clearer and more transparent. Each driver really should be driven directly from the amp. The version
with the jumper is closer to that ideal.

What diameter are your woofers?

I would be interested in seing photos.

If the diameter is large, you may be better to crossover at 3kHz using a second order (12dB/octave) crossover.

The tweeter contains ferrofluid so its fundamental resonance is well controlled.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.