Xover reverse engineering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've purchased FRD and ZMA data for my drivers. Is it better to start a new thread at this point, to have suggestions on cabinet project? Or go on here?

New thread because the purpose is now different.

IMO, the manufacturer should publish driver data (including graphs, T/S, FRD, ZMA, others) as pre-sales information so you can make an informed decision before you buy a driver.

Last edited:
Monacor does publish the FR and impedance graphs for these drivers, you just have to dig through their website a bit. Note that these are infinite baffle responses so you'll need a program like Jeff Bagby's Excel based Response Modeler to add in the baffle step based on cabinet dimensions and the driver location. Response Modeler will also calculate the woofer's impedance plot and frequency response when installed in the cabinet. You'll need the woofer's T/S parameters which are also on Monacor's website.

Attachments

• G100340K.pdf
    213.9 KB · Views: 30
  • G013190K.pdf
    173 KB · Views: 17
I've purchased FRD and ZMA data for my drivers. Is it better to start a new thread at this point, to have suggestions on cabinet project? Or go on here?

I loaded the FRD/ZMA files (provided from your new thread) into Xsim, and used your original XO component values. You can see the results are not so good.

Attachments

• schematic-v5.jpg
    schematic-v5.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 49
  • freq_resp-v5.jpg
    freq_resp-v5.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 51
Then I did the minimum amount of XO changes (schematic marked in red) to get a reasonable FR. There is enough LF gain for baffle step loss compensation.

There are still a lot of components in that XO that are not required for this design. They have minimal effect (ripples) so they were not removed or changed, otherwise you would be building a new XO ;) I included the Xsim file so you can try it.

Attachments

• schematic-v6.jpg
    schematic-v6.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 48
  • freq_resp-v6.jpg
    freq_resp-v6.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Rev6.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.