Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C no love for those tweeters
Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C no love for those tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
turboyam is offline turboyam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C no love for those tweeters

I bought and i'm using those $500.00 Can. ea. brand new 3 years ago.
Those tweeters never brought a smile to my face.
I was interested in RAAL ribbons too back then, but went with the AMT's.

They are mated with a JBL 2235 woofah, and a Celestion TF0615 mid.
The x-overs, are all Solen (caps and inductors), that i designed with XO-3.

Those are really not my first try, building loudspeakers.
I must admitt tho that i never was into ''flat responses''. I always bumped volontarily, the upper and lower frequencies .

My all time favorite Tweets are the 066 slash 2405 JBL slots and the awesome, to me Beyma CP21-F . That Beyma, always, brings a smile!. The sizzle!!!.

Did i go wrong with the Mundorf?, what do you guys think?, anyone compared
those with RAAL's?.
I was looking for the best QUALITY highs, maybe i expected too much?.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:22 AM   #2
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Hmm... My brief encounters with the Mundorfs have been very positive. I would think they would be much better in a domestic environment than the other 2 you mention.
Do you have measurements?
Old 17th September 2019, 03:43 AM   #3
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the larger siblings and love them.

The late Speaker Doctor recommended them to me and used them in his intimates.

Here's the thing: They sound like nothing at all. They absolutely disappear and leave behind no tweeter like residue on the sound. So if you are looking for an exciting tweeter, they are not it. However, in the best environments, properly integrated, they are amazing.

Best,

E
Old 17th September 2019, 04:40 AM   #4
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyam View Post
The sizzle!!!.

maybe i expected too much?.
Sizzle? Screech to my ears, but maybe that's what you like.
Old 17th September 2019, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

One other note: With the help of RAAL, I measured the dynamic range and distortion of my pair of Mundorf AMT's - Amazing. No dynamic compression between 70 and 90 dB at 1m and negligible distortion. I think this got posted somewhere.
Old 17th September 2019, 04:16 PM   #6
audiogod66 is offline audiogod66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
One other note: With the help of RAAL, I measured the dynamic range and distortion of my pair of Mundorf AMT's - Amazing. No dynamic compression between 70 and 90 dB at 1m and negligible distortion. I think this got posted somewhere.
Fabulously clean if only they were cheaper. i also have wondered why they haven't tried to make an AMT with a dome type mould or 3d printed shape to combine the advantages of both types? Obviously this must be difficult to achieve
Would love to try the AMT dipole line arrays that Mundorf mentioned in their catalogue using 3 per side but just too expensive to try without hearing the result especially in Australia. Would like to hear from people who have done this
Old 18th September 2019, 12:01 AM   #7
turboyam is offline turboyam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Well, thanks for the reply!. Have you tried (A-B) those and your RAAL's?.
I play drums, and used to cymbals sounds (the real, live thing), and (of course, the recording and electronics interfere) but, the Beymas, sound way more like the real deal to me, cymbals, explode with dynamics, the Mundorf's seem so shy...
Old 18th September 2019, 01:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

audiogod :

There's a horn loaded Beyma I've seen used in some ridiculously expensive floor standers. I think they were flanked by 6" Faitals in an MTM configuration. Really made me want to have a large home theater room to try that out. I bet I could get some great SPLs.

Turbo:

Never owned RAAL products. I meant the owner of the company was here and wanted some comparative specs so we went over how to best measure the Mundorfs. He helped me out by giving me some data when I was really sick and needed a crossover project.

Best,

E
Old 18th September 2019, 02:08 AM   #9
audiogod66 is offline audiogod66
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=eriksquires;5917843]audiogod :

There's a horn loaded Beyma I've seen used in some ridiculously expensive floor standers. I think they were flanked by 6" Faitals in an MTM configuration. Really made me want to have a large home theater room to try that out. I bet I could get some great SPLs.

Turbo:

Never owned RAAL products. I meant the owner of the company was here and wanted some comparative specs so we went over how to best measure the Mundorfs. He helped me out by giving me some data when I was really sick and needed a crossover project.

Speaking of Beymas This beast with TPL150 is on my wanted list but each tower stack is over 300 kilo's and my floors are unable to take the beast's weight !
EPITOME - ONE-OF-A-KIND ULTIMATE 3kW AES 4-WAY 2.3M-HIGH SPEAKERS | eBay
So that live sizzle sound I believe the Beyma deliver . Agree about the 2405 JBL I have JBL L300 with them but sadly destroyed by a negligent courier company so can only go on memories how they sound
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:57 PM   #10
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Are you using passive crossovers?
The Mundorf AMT is only 89-90 dB/w/m while the Celestion midrange is around 93-94 dB/w/m. The Beyma cp21F is 106 dB/w/m so even with some attenuation it might play a couple of dB louder then the Mundorf AMT, that's a reason why it sounds so much more "sizzling". Besides that, the two drivers are very different in dynamic character.

I know the cp21f very well and it is a very nice sounding driver that has gotten a bad name because it is often misused in cheap PA boxes where they are crossed way too low and not steep enough crossover and a complete mismatch in directivity with the woofers they mostly used with. But that's not a fault of the tweeters. When used right they are pretty amazing. (<5kHz crossover, <24db/oct and a nice sounding amp)

I have not owned any Mundorf AMT's (yet) but I did have the big and small ESS AMT's, some Harwood AMT'S and I did own a pair of Raal 140-15D ribbons (among various other ribbons) I ended up selling the Raals because they did not match my midrange drivers as good as the AMT's. The Raals are very clean, maybe a bit too clean for my taste. Like all ribbons I have owned there best feature is a really nice top-end, but unfortunately only on-axis. I really could not live with the limited vertical dispersion.
The AMT's sound more dynamic in the lower treble range and overall more organic to me, or at least in combination with my midrange. So if you like the CP21f so much I guess you will be a bit dissapointed with the Raals. Maybe an AMT with more output capability like the Beyma?

Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C no love for those tweetersHide this!Advertise here!