Mundorf AMT 23CM1.1-C no love for those tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought and i'm using those $500.00 Can. ea. brand new 3 years ago.
Those tweeters never brought a smile to my face.
I was interested in RAAL ribbons too back then, but went with the AMT's.

They are mated with a JBL 2235 woofah, and a Celestion TF0615 mid.
The x-overs, are all Solen (caps and inductors), that i designed with XO-3.

Those are really not my first try, building loudspeakers.
I must admitt tho that i never was into ''flat responses''. I always bumped volontarily, the upper and lower frequencies ;).

My all time favorite Tweets are the 066 slash 2405 JBL slots and the awesome, to me Beyma CP21-F . That Beyma, always, brings a smile!. The sizzle!!!.

Did i go wrong with the Mundorf?, what do you guys think?, anyone compared
those with RAAL's?.
I was looking for the best QUALITY highs, maybe i expected too much?.

I have the larger siblings and love them.

The late Speaker Doctor recommended them to me and used them in his intimates.

Here's the thing: They sound like nothing at all. They absolutely disappear and leave behind no tweeter like residue on the sound. So if you are looking for an exciting tweeter, they are not it. However, in the best environments, properly integrated, they are amazing.

Best,

E

One other note: With the help of RAAL, I measured the dynamic range and distortion of my pair of Mundorf AMT's - Amazing. No dynamic compression between 70 and 90 dB at 1m and negligible distortion. I think this got posted somewhere.

Fabulously clean if only they were cheaper. i also have wondered why they haven't tried to make an AMT with a dome type mould or 3d printed shape to combine the advantages of both types? Obviously this must be difficult to achieve
Would love to try the AMT dipole line arrays that Mundorf mentioned in their catalogue using 3 per side but just too expensive to try without hearing the result especially in Australia. Would like to hear from people who have done this

One other note: With the help of RAAL, I measured the dynamic range and distortion of my pair of Mundorf AMT's - Amazing. No dynamic compression between 70 and 90 dB at 1m and negligible distortion. I think this got posted somewhere.

Well, thanks for the reply!. Have you tried (A-B) those and your RAAL's?.
I play drums, and used to cymbals sounds (the real, live thing), and (of course, the recording and electronics interfere) but, the Beymas, sound way more like the real deal to me, cymbals, explode with dynamics, the Mundorf's seem so shy...

audiogod :

There's a horn loaded Beyma I've seen used in some ridiculously expensive floor standers. I think they were flanked by 6" Faitals in an MTM configuration. Really made me want to have a large home theater room to try that out. I bet I could get some great SPLs.

Turbo:

Never owned RAAL products. I meant the owner of the company was here and wanted some comparative specs so we went over how to best measure the Mundorfs. :) He helped me out by giving me some data when I was really sick and needed a crossover project.

Best,

E

audiogod :

There's a horn loaded Beyma I've seen used in some ridiculously expensive floor standers. I think they were flanked by 6" Faitals in an MTM configuration. Really made me want to have a large home theater room to try that out. I bet I could get some great SPLs.

Turbo:

Never owned RAAL products. I meant the owner of the company was here and wanted some comparative specs so we went over how to best measure the Mundorfs. :) He helped me out by giving me some data when I was really sick and needed a crossover project.

Speaking of Beymas This beast with TPL150 is on my wanted list but each tower stack is over 300 kilo's and my floors are unable to take the beast's weight !
EPITOME - ONE-OF-A-KIND ULTIMATE 3kW AES 4-WAY 2.3M-HIGH SPEAKERS | eBay
So that live sizzle sound I believe the Beyma deliver . Agree about the 2405 JBL I have JBL L300 with them but sadly destroyed by a negligent courier company so can only go on memories how they sound :mad:

Are you using passive crossovers?
The Mundorf AMT is only 89-90 dB/w/m while the Celestion midrange is around 93-94 dB/w/m. The Beyma cp21F is 106 dB/w/m so even with some attenuation it might play a couple of dB louder then the Mundorf AMT, that's a reason why it sounds so much more "sizzling". Besides that, the two drivers are very different in dynamic character.

I know the cp21f very well and it is a very nice sounding driver that has gotten a bad name because it is often misused in cheap PA boxes where they are crossed way too low and not steep enough crossover and a complete mismatch in directivity with the woofers they mostly used with. But that's not a fault of the tweeters. When used right they are pretty amazing. (<5kHz crossover, <24db/oct and a nice sounding amp)

I have not owned any Mundorf AMT's (yet) but I did have the big and small ESS AMT's, some Harwood AMT'S and I did own a pair of Raal 140-15D ribbons (among various other ribbons) I ended up selling the Raals because they did not match my midrange drivers as good as the AMT's. The Raals are very clean, maybe a bit too clean for my taste. Like all ribbons I have owned there best feature is a really nice top-end, but unfortunately only on-axis. I really could not live with the limited vertical dispersion.
The AMT's sound more dynamic in the lower treble range and overall more organic to me, or at least in combination with my midrange. So if you like the CP21f so much I guess you will be a bit dissapointed with the Raals. Maybe an AMT with more output capability like the Beyma?

Please post your crossover for the Mundorfs. I am sure there is something wrong. I know both drivers and the Mundorfs play in another league. Much more fluid, detailed and still smooth, so there is no discomfort. Can only imagine, that there is a problem with XO.
But you should use rather highend caps so you dont destroy their potential (I also parallel them with high quality mica caps).

Last edited:
I wait, with bated breath the exact crossover. Might help to download Boxsim to draw it.

Software | Visaton

Something like this:

424780d1403379494-troels-gravesen-time-aligned-3-published-system7-3-crossover-png

The Mundorf AMT tweeter is a splendid item. But you ought to to know how to get the best out of it.

This is the £12,000 Gryphon Mojo speaker: 6moons audio reviews: Gryphon Audio Designs Mojo

544046d1460862112-seas-ca15rly-x2-cabinet-volume-suggestions-gryphon_mojo_duelund_loudspeaker-jpg

Matched with the SEAS CA15RLY in MTM here. I'd think it works best on a serious 4th order crossover around 3kHz. I doubt if it is suited to a 95dB PA woofer or midrange.

First, i think i was screwed by Madisound, as the AMT's i got do not look like AMT23CM1.1-C tweeters, they differ from the pictures on the Madisound AND Mundorf's site. I told Madisound about this, when i got them and they basically said : ''SO?''.
I do know that these tweeters are not a perfect match to the mids and woofers but, i like real woofers ( JBL AlNiCo variant, 2235). I thought about using Audax PR170MO mids, but, i already have those on the Scoops!.
I will try to post the X-Over schematics here but, they are in my old, Windows XP computer...

A close up shot of the Mundorf unit, and we might give our impression.

Super buzzy these days :mad:.
The ones i got, look like a left-over party.
Un-like the ones i wanted and, the ones i got have the Mundorf name, printed on the front ( did not want that). The pleated diaphragm, is goldish, instead of being yellow. They have the 8 long ''slots'' but, 2 short ones, like a
AMT23D6.1-C Dipole...
Diaphragm, is like the AMT's 19 or 21.
Mine are closed-back, non dipole.
So, they look like a dipole front, with their low cost diaphragm and their printed name on the front...
I was not happy. Maybe, i hate them too much, to realise how good they sound! :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.