Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Bookshelf Sanity Check! RS180-8 + RST28F-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

It would be significantly better if only it were possible to build a larger internal cabinet volume. Vent could be of smaller diameter.
Old 16th September 2019, 07:59 PM   #12
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibroodryk View Post
@xrk971 - What drove you to PR's instead of a ported design? I have entertained a configuration like yours. I'll have to dig more into that thread. Thanks for the share.
PRís offer deeper bass extension in a compact box without a long port tube - which has other issues like resonance and max port velocities to prevent chuffing etc.

I donít think WinISD model will show pipe resonance. Akabak can model pipe resonance and of course HR can too.
Old 16th September 2019, 09:05 PM   #13
ibroodryk is offline ibroodryk  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
So the calculations.....dimensions 12.4*10*8......therefore 11*8.5*6.5 gives net box volume 608 cin subtract port displacement (5.5 area x18) 100 leaves 508 cu/in divided by 1728 leaves .29 cu ft net volume.....not including bracing, driver displacement and crossover components.

Ok, I see the error in my ways. The volume produced by the port area swept over it's length is subtractive and needs to be added back in to compensate. Well, this is embarrassing, I wonder how I missed that. Rookie mistake. Thank you!
Old 17th September 2019, 01:38 AM   #14
ibroodryk is offline ibroodryk  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok gang. I updated my box dimensions per mayhem13's findings. Now the external dimensions are 8.00 inches wide by 12.4 inches high by 12.6 inches deep. The target volume of the box is still 0.33 ft3. I modeled this puppy in WinISD with a box tuning freq of 45.5 Hz, a 19.7 inch vent, with opening dimensions 6.50 inch x 0.85 inch. 1st port resonance is 343 Hz and the transfer function only sees a 0.5 dB rise at 90 Hz. What can I glean from all this? Note that I added 0.7 ohm in series with the driver to compensate for the added resistance caused by the woofer inductance, speaker wiring, and internal impedance of the amplifier. Also, when I check the "Use "transmission line" -model for port simulation" box, the transfer function diverges at 343 Hz.

Finally, rear port air velocity peaks around 12.66 m/s.

Any thoughts?

Bookshelf Sanity Check! RS180-8 + RST28F-4Hide this!Advertise here!