Budget horn/waveguide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why supertweeter?
D220ti and the JBL PT clone is a safe bet for a 10" woofer, with a crossover around 1500hz. use them myself with a 12" eminence beta.
polar response will be much better than a small supertweeter.
s15dsp%2Bnormalised.png

Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI
Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18

Because something like the D220ti wrecks my budget. im revamping five speakers and after waveguide/horns with D220ti its like $300 just for that.

I would LOVE to use those two with the PA woofers i have but its to much money. the ones i selected, plus extra crossover parts i need and 5 woofers im at $375

Personally ( for HT ) I'd take the chance ( when unheard ) and go with that WG230ti PRV package ( especially at the give-away price of $25.00 ).

It's wonky ( stop-band ) response can be hammered into something useful using an appropriate HiPass ( see below ).

If the titanium diaphragm is too "zingy" I'd look to damp it some with a clearcoat polyurethane paint ( a la the JBL > Tymphany/Peerless approach to Ti diaphragms ).

At $25.00 a pop, there's plenty of room to experiment with diaphragm damping.

PRV_WG230ti_network_.PNG

:)

Attachments

• PRV WG230ti-HP_modB.dxo
    34.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back when I made my big waveguides, I tested a selenium d2500ti, which uses the same diaphragm assembly as the 220. I added a thin coating of diluted PVA (Puzzlecoat glue) to the dome (the convex part which is further from the phase plug) then tweaked the diaphragm centering (which is a shortcoming on these) using impedance sweeps to match drivers and have the smoothest curve. Some RTA testing (I have no records, this was before I could do high-res FR plots) showed a smoother, very slightly more rolled-off top end.

Subjectively, the original were rather tizzy- a little more top end than the JBL 2426 (which is pretty well damped, erring to overdamped rather than letting the nasty breakup fly free). After the coating, the extension was still substantially better than the 2426 but it lost that tizzy sound and became very smooth.

Last edited:
Thanks for your observations badman.

Some months back I strapped a 2426 onto an 18Sound 1464XT ( via an Eminence HA1-14 adapter ).

That was a bit of an epiphany. Lots of loading down to mid 600's and zero under-damped Ti sound. Quite an eye-opener!

The Peerless/Tymphany DFM-2535 with it's clear-coated Ti diaphragm is very reminiscent of my Altec aluminum diaphragmed models.

Looking for some opinions on the Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter or PRV WG230Ti

these fit my tight budget right now and im not really finding much about them. There is one site that gives some detail on the ST200 and but thats the only place ive seen it really.(OWL – Dayton PA200-8 8″ Pro Woofer with Selenium ST200 – AmpsLab)

These will be mated to a 10" PA woofer thats rated for 95db-

Hi, I can't comment on the WG230Ti waveguide combo, but on the ST200.

If you plan to put this super tweeters in its own air space like on this build, you will have no problems, however if the air space will be shared, you will have issues with air leakage thru the tweeter front square holes which connects to the rear magnet plastic lock fastener, however you can put small pieces of closed cell foam thru the front square holes or place some adhesive on the back somehow, but don't bond the back or you will be unable to replace the diaphragm.

As for the budget tweeters, the ST200 don't like to go low and will not integrate well, and the D230Ti compression driver the WG230Ti uses is a bit weak, you will have better integration and success with the PRV D280Ti-S + PRV Audio WG 11-25(same waveguide as WG230Ti).

P.S. I personally tested both, and the PRV D280Ti-S is a good budget driver and integrate very well with 10" PA mid/woofers wen properly crossed.

Regards

EarlK,
Out of the 2426 and the Tymphany, which would you consider the better sounding of the two overall regardless of guide? And does the XT1464 change that? I had never considered using a 1" with adapter on the XT1464. They are both affordable drivers that I have seen used on a range of horns and guides with good success.

EarlK,
Out of the 2426 and the Tymphany, which would you consider the better sounding of the two overall regardless of guide? And does the XT1464 change that? I had never considered using a 1" with adapter on the XT1464. They are both affordable drivers that I have seen used on a range of horns and guides with good success.

I'll need to ponder that question for a few days.

The JBL is a classic legacy type Lansing driver that is designed to support a crossover point a good octave below that of the Peerless. That fact makes it a more valuable driver to own in my books.

The Peerless drivers are really inexpensive, therefore I simply recommend that people buy them and try them out for themselves.

Thanks Earl,

I look forward to hearing more thoughts.

I had wanted the 2426 for its history and the idea that it does reach lower, but the price of the Tymphany is a big seller. I've seen measures of both on the QSC type waveguide that looked promising. Were you one of the folks who tried Ferro fluid on the 2426 as well? I am piecing together a 3 way setup and want to hand off from a 2123.

Looking for some opinions on the Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter or PRV WG230Ti

these fit my tight budget right now and im not really finding much about them. There is one site that gives some detail on the ST200 and but thats the only place ive seen it really.(OWL – Dayton PA200-8 8″ Pro Woofer with Selenium ST200 – AmpsLab)

These will be mated to a 10" PA woofer thats rated for 95db-
I cannot add more, but thanks for the link.
I've come to find really interesting the ST200 compared to everything else and got one waiting since now too much time for a project with just the same crossover point/slope.

Here may a couple of budget options based on measurements @ ampslab:
Pyle PDS442 + Dayton H07E Elliptical Waveguide – AmpsLab
PRV Audio D280Ti Compression Driver Horns Compatibility – AmpsLab

There is also this:
7" x 10" Horn Tweeter with 1" Titanium Compression Driver

Depending on your woofer (10"), running an ST200 below 3kHz to meet it may not be as easy to work with as some of the above. But take that with a grain of salt as I have no experience w/ the 3 above & we don't know your woofer.

Thanks for your observations badman.

Some months back I strapped a 2426 onto an 18Sound 1464XT ( via an Eminence HA1-14 adapter ).

That was a bit of an epiphany. Lots of loading down to mid 600's and zero under-damped Ti sound. Quite an eye-opener!

The Peerless/Tymphany DFM-2535 with it's clear-coated Ti diaphragm is very reminiscent of my Altec aluminum diaphragmed models.

The peerless 1"s are fantastic if you need decent top end extension without a supertweeter. Very high performance on a budget, but 800 is beyond their reach with any reasonable headroom. On the QSC/clone waveguide it's some of the smoothest response I've seen. Unless you're looking to really dip down into the upper mids, I'd say it's a better choice for home use than the 2426, but it's naturally very system design dependent. Right now I'm using 2426 as it's still a great performer and the design is optimized around it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.